Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors That Deserve More Attention

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme held each week at The Broke and the Bookish. I've never done it before, but I really like this week's list...so I'm doing it.

From The Broke and the Bookish:

We all have our favorite authors--mine including J.K. Rowling and Stephen King. But what about those favorite authors of yours that people don't recognize when you mention them? We all have those authors who we LOVE but for whatever reason aren't as well-known.

So, yeah. My Top 10 are:
1. Sarah MacLean: I've read all 3 of her books out and I'm completely addicted. Her YA, The Season, is one of few books I've actually reread. Whenever I read them, I crave more historical fiction, steamy or YA. Her books make me happy and warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Jaclyn Dolamore: Steampunk is a highly under appreciated genre that I adore. I fell in love with the characters and the world and I'm REALLY looking forward to Magic Under Stone and Between the Sea and the Sky.

3. Jennifer Donnelly: I adored Revolution and The Tea Rose. Jennifer definitely knows how to write a captivating historical. Can't wait for more YA from her!

4. Heidi Kling: Sea was another fantastic debut novel. I still remember the 2004 tsunami really well, all the footage scared me. And in light of all that's happened recently, I can't help but want to revisit it.

5. Joy Preble: I absolutely adored both Dreaming Anastasia and Haunted. Yet so few seem to read them! Gorgeous covers, magical plots, these are definitely books not to miss!

6. Mandy Hubbard: Prada and Prejudice and You Wish. Very different books, but both excellent. Prada and Prejudice is one of few Pride and Prejudice retellings I can read and You Wish was funny and happy with this deeper meaning I totally didn't expect.

7: Elizabeth Eulberg: I've only read Prom and Prejudice, but my love of it knows no bounds! It was like I was rereading Pride and Prejudice! And Elizabeth herself is super sweet.

8. Stefne Miller: Salvaged is her only book out, but I was lucky enough to beta read one of her other manuscripts and Stefne is seriously talented. Romance, unique plots, and yes, sometimes a touch of religion.

9. Eilis O'Neal: Her debut, A False Princess, was a fantastic fantasy story. I'd never read anything like it! The world was captivating and the story was exciting and romantic and wonderful.

10. Alyssa B. Sheinmel: The only writer with no romance in her book. But The Beautiful Between was so, so beautiful. I'm really excited to read her next book, The Lucky Kind!

Some honorary mentions: Stephanie Perkins, Morgan Matson, and Susan Coventry

So, this was really, really hard. But those are my final answers. Agree? Disagree? Have your OWN list? Share with me!

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for adding me to this list! I'm honored!
    You do so much to help little known authors like myself, and I greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your authors are all new-to-me but I see a couple I'd like to learn more aobut. Jaclyn Dolamore is one. I just started reading steampunk last year and can't find many recommendations. Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hop is opening new book doors for me! So many that I haven't heard of, so much selection!

    Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've only barely heard of these authors. This is a wonderful post, and I'm aware that there are super fabulous writers out there that don't get the attention they deserve. I am definitely looking up these authors and reading their work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting to get new names I haven't heard of! Will have to check out some of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with Heidi R. Kling and Jennifer Donnelly.

    I haven't read Magic Under Glass,but this post makes me want to. I'm so psyched for Between the Sea and Sky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, yes, I definitely agree, especially with Jaclyn Dolamore! I loved her debut. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.