Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent
by Veronica Roth


Release date: May 3rd (Julie got a copy from the US publisher, so she'll have a review up nearer the release date, that way we're not posting reviews of the same book at the same time)

Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
I am in love...with a book.


I would marry this book if I could, it was that awesome.

Okay, so maybe not quite that much (although -- isn't there a woman who married a wall? why not a book?), but really the book was beyond fantastic. I think it may even be my favourite dystopian book, or at the very least, it's tied with The Hunger Games.

I haven't felt this total adoration for a book in what feels like ages and I've missed that feeling, that feeling that reminds me why I love reading so much (I mean, I've loved books in the past year, but then there are just some that are a whole other level of awesome and this is right up there with the best of them).

For the first five chapters, I liked the protagonist and the writing and was hooked on the plot, but I thought the world was kind of ridiculous. In other dystopian novels, I could believe the worlds they created, I could believe the world could go wrong like that and that society could end up that way...and for the first five chapters of this book, I wasn't getting that and if I don't have that feeling when reading a dystopian, I probably won't like the book. I thought the world was just silly.

And then on the fifth chapter, it clicked into place. The world made sense and the book was just - wow.

I really can't put into words all the things I loved about the book, because I actually think I loved everything about it, what I mentioned above was the only negative that comes to mind and even that disappeared after five chapters.

The characters were amazing. I want to keep Four and know Tris, and I want to be friends with Will and Christina and give Al a hug and a lecture. I want a big brother like Caleb, because even though he wasn't in the book too much, he was awesome. And I would really, really like Peter, Drew, Molly, Marcus and Eric to be real - just so I could beat them up a little for being awful. I just loved all of the characters (even the bad ones because I loved to hate them).

The romance in the book was perfect. And I don't mean that in the cliche way -- I mean, it was just the right amount. I cared about the characters individually and wanted them to be together and the romance wasn't over the top. It was a subplot, not the focus of the story and I think that is my favourite kind of romance (just like in the Harry Potter books or The Hunger Games - it's there, but the romance isn't the entire plot, you could cut it out and still have an amazing story, while there are some books that, if you remove the romance crutch, they can't stand on their own).

I'm really tired right now, because I stayed up very late (or early, depending on how you look at it - past 5am) reading this, so that's all I can think to say about the book. It was epic and I pity whatever book I read next, because this one is a tough act to follow. Go read it. Seriously.

And...now that I'm done fangirling, I'm going to go cry or something, over the fact that I don't have the sequel to read right now.
Later.

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly. And I love that Marshall animation. I definitely did that a few times during, while and after, still, reading Divergent. It might just be my favourite 2011 release so far, if not my favourite dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I loved Divergent, too! It was just amazing. Amazing. *sigh* I want the sequel right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review :D

    Cannot wait to read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So in love with this book, yayyy glad that you loved it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo excited for this one! And it's already popped up in a few stores here in Sweden, so today I'm going to buy it today!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.