Wednesday, 13 April 2011

DNF: The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

DNF = Did Not Finish. To sum up: books that I started but can't bring myself to finish are piling up and causing some sort of block in my reading habits...so I'm going to put them in my DNF pile and I need to write my reasons for that to make it "official" that I've given up on them (if I didn't review them, then my stubborn nature would keep letting them irritate me).

The Lying Game
by Sara Shephard


Summary: I had a life anyone would kill for.


Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.

Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?

From Sara Shepard, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Pretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting new series about secrets, lies, and killer consequences.

Let the lying game begin.
I liked this book. The reason I couldn't finish it wasn't because I didn't like it. It was just the wrong time to read it...books like this, they're fun and they should be quick reads. The fact that I could only get halfway into the book then couldn't bring myself to pick it up again (I'm talking more than a week passed after I put it down) proves that I was in the wrong mood to read this kind of book.

It started off really good, the idea of the story is really interesting, although I did kind of need to suspend disbelief to get over certain aspects of it (shockingly, not even the dead narrator was the issue - it was Emma being Sutton). It was just when it got to the part about Suttons life that I couldn't read anymore.

Emma is an interesting character, I liked her a lot. And as the narrator, Sutton is interesting...but her life was just so - shallow. Shallow friends, shallow life and total fakeness. I didn't care what happened to her -- I cared about Emma, but when she was in Suttons life, the story lost the depth it could have had and just became one of those far fetched-but-fun books that don't really have much meaning to them.

Again, I only got half way through the book, so maybe it changed, I just wasn't into where it was heading and it didn't seem like it was going to turn into some literary masterpiece.

And that's fine - not everyone book has to move me or be powerful and inspiring, they don't always have to have some deeper meaning or get under my skin or having me laughing out loud or bawling my eyes out...it's okay for books to just be mindless entertainment. It's like shows/books like Gossip Girl - they're fun, they can be addictive but they don't go too far beyond that.

The point is, I'm just not in the mood to read something like that right now. I want an amazing book; I want another Looking for Alaska or The Sky is Everywhere or Hunger Games, something that will become an all time favourite. So I'm benching this book right now and I will pick it up again at some point and finish it, when I'm in the right mood to read it.

I don't really need to do what I did with Chime, linking positive reviews of it, because I did genuinely like this book and I really do recommend it, from what I read of it, it's good -- it's just bad timing and I can't finish it now.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I get what you mean about being in the right mindset to read certain books. Luckily, when I read The Lying Game I was able to devour it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a difficult book to read in that it took me quite awhile to like it. Try going back sometime if you're in the mood. It gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book but I totally get what you're saying. I'm a mood reader as well and I'm not quite sure what to do with it in regard to books given to me for review purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the Pendragon Series! That is my personal all time favorite. It's actually not about Dragons. Pendragon is just the main characters last name.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.