Saturday, 16 April 2011

Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams

Miles from Ordinary
Carol Lynch Williams
St. Martin's Griffin
[March 15, 2011]

"Imagine Anna Quindlen or Sue Miller turning her attention to writing a young adult novel, and you have an idea what [Williams] has done for early teen readers…" —Audrey Couloumbis, author of the Newbery Honor Book Getting Close to Baby

Thirteen-year-old Lacey wakes to a beautiful summer morning excited to begin her new job at the library, just as her mother is supposed to start work at the grocery store. Lacey hopes that her mother's ghosts have finally been laid to rest; after all, she seems so much better these days, and they really do need the money. But as the hours tick by and memories come flooding back, a day full of hope spins terrifyingly out of control....

“No one can get inside the head and heart of a 13-year-old girl better than Carol Lynch Williams, and I mean no one," said James S. Jacobs, Professor of Children's Literature at Brigham Young University, of her breakout novel, The Chosen One. Now this award-winning YA author brings us an equally gripping story of a girl who loves her mother, but must face the truth of what life with that mother means for both of them.

  This book was very unique. Very different, in a good way.


The writing is different than most things I've read. Something about it was...simpler? I guess that would be the right word. It was simplistic and a bit jarring when you first start, but good over all.

The story was somewhat suspenseful and mysterious. There are some things you don't learn for a while and one scene in particular made my heart pound. Despite the slower pace, I still had to keep reading.

I want to say more, but I'm at a loss. It's not like anything I've ever read before and I'm not even sure what I can say without spoiling it. It was the day in the life of a teenage girl with a not so normal/stable home. A story about how she's haunted and grieving and she's kind of alone in it all because she has to be the grown up.

Is this one of my favorite books of all time? No. But it was a good, solid read. A read that I enjoyed. Something new and refreshing and just plain different. And sometimes, that's what you need. 

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my TBR list for awhile, but I haven't read too many reviews for it. I'm glad you enjoyed it (for the most part). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it when books are different. I mean, I'm all about trying new things. So yay, I am glad that I have a copy of this and that Miles From Ordinary is a decent read. I know sometimes all I really want is something simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Carol Lynch Williams. I haven't read Miles for Ordinary, but I think I get what you mean by saying it was different.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.