Friday, 15 April 2011

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg


Prom and Prejudice
by Elizabeth Eulberg


Summary: After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.
I loved this book. It was fast paced and pretty much made of adorable. One of the first things I said to Julie when I signed onto MSN today was this:

Lanna says:
Prom and Prejudice was awesome. I was going to read one chapter before going to sleep at like 4am. I didn't sleep. I read it all.

The story wasn't, well, original. The Pride and Prejudice formula has been done more times than I can count and this is a modern version that follows pretty closely to the original, but I really loved it. It's one of my favourite retellings of Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's story that I've ever encountered (I say "encountered" instead of read, because I'm referring to movie retellings too).

Honestly, there isn't much I can say about the book. It was fun and if you know how the Pride and Prejudice story goes, then you know the majority of the plot already but it's still entertaining to read even though you know what is going to happen.

I still loved all of the characters that I usually love; Lizzie, Will, Jane, Gorgiana, Charles. The characters that normally annoy me still annoy me: Caroline and Colin and the character that I love and love to hate is still the same too: Wickam. The book was short but the characters were written well and I cared about what happened to them.

Basically, the book was really good. It's the perfect quick read to recharge your batteries with after being in kind of a reading slump or between more intense books. If you like Pride and Prejudice, definitely try it...and if you don't like the original, maybe this retelling will work for you.

Later.

p.s. I just realised something: I was thinking about how I would rate the book. And I realised that if I was rating it based on how much I enjoyed it and just...as a light read, then I'd give it about 4.5 stars. But if I was rating it more - in general, in comparison to greater books, it would just be more average, about 3 stars. It reminded me why I rarely rate books, because the rating is all about what you're comparing it against.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! This one's in my TBR pile. I love retellings, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Prom and Prejudice, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review! I really enjoyed Prom and Prejudice. It's one of those books I read between heavier reads. The only thing I can complain about is that I wish Caroline would have played a bigger role.

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this book sounds like so much fun! Will have to pick it up soon- thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.