Sunday, 10 April 2011

Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden


Tomorrow When the War Began
by John Marsden

Summary: When Ellie and six of her friends return home from a camping trip deep in the bush, they find things hideously wrong -- their families gone, houses empty and abandoned, pets and stock dead. Gradually they begin to comprehend that their country has been invaded and everyone in the town has been taken prisoner. As the horrible reality of the situation becomes evident they have to make a life-and-death decision: to run back into the bush and hide, to give themselves up to be with their families, or to stay and try to fight.

I've owned this book for a while, I bought it as soon as I saw the movie trailer for it sometime last year, but I never got around to reading it until I was sent a copy of the movie tie-in cover for review.

I really loved the book. Honestly, it's not the kind of book I'd normally read, I need to be in a very specific mood to even consider buying a book like this (unless romance sounds like a major part of the story - sad, but true) but I'm really glad I read it.

The plot of the book was awesome and I love how situations like that manage to show humanity at its best and its worst (and yes, I'm aware this is fiction, but it's true for real life too). It reveals peoples cowardice and their courage. You never really know how strong you are until you're put in a situation where you're terrified and you find out how you'll react (it really had me wondering what I would be like in their situation, would I be brave or turn into a quivering ball of fear? Would I fight or hide or give up? I like to think I'd be brave and strong, but I honestly don't know for sure, I don't think anyone does).

That was my favourite thing about this book. It really made me think and it showed how wars can change people and show what they're capable of. One of my favourite quotes from the book says it best (and there were quick a few pages with paper place holders to mark quotes that I loved):


"I guess true courage is when you're really scared but you still do it."

The book is really exciting and the characters managed to be realistic but totally kick ass at the same time. They argued, they annoyed each other, but they cared and got along too - they made jokes and lost their temper, they weren't perfect...they were just like regular teenagers in an irregular situation and the situation pushed them to their limits, but it didn't change them to the point where they didn't seem real anymore - the realness of the characters was consistent throughout the book and I loved that.

I can't really think of much else I can say about the book without ruining it. I could talk about the scenes that I loved most, but that would totally spoil the book for you, so I probably shouldn't do that. I guess I'll just leave my review at that: the book was awesome, go read it.

Movie trailer, for anyone who hasn't seen it (also works as a pretty decent trailer for the book too):






Later.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but it seems very similar to How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff - those types of books always scare me, the desperation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have How I Live Now, but haven't read it yet. The Tomorrow series was first published in the early-mid 90's though, so it was out long before How I Live Now. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie first, and have just started reading the book. I think I'm going to like it, but I'm finding it hard to read at the moment. The movie left me wanting more, so I'm glad I also purchased the other books in the series. Well reviewed though :)

    Alisa @ the Novel Nook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and have been wanting to read the book and see the film ever since.

    Glad to hear the film follows the book pretty closely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this series! Hope you're planning on reading the rest of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh! It seems interesting! Now I want to read it. Badly. *scowls* I've been a little book deprived lately, because I just can't find something that charms me enough to pick it up and read. . . But this premise does really sound promising.

    I also like the fact that you said it made you think. I always love that in books, when they make you wonder what you would have done in that situation. That, 'hey, maybe, as much as you want to, you wouldn't have done as great as you wish.

    Anyway, I felt this was a great review as usually. I do love your blog. n__n

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.