Friday, 29 April 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

What Happened to Goodbye
Sarah Dessen
Penguin Young Readers Group
[May 10, 2011]

Another town. Another school. Another Mclean. Ever since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her father have been fleeing their unhappy past. And Mclean's become a pro at reinventing herself with each move. But in Lakeview, Mclean finds herself putting down roots and making friends—in part, thanks to Dave, the most real person Mclean's ever met. Dave just may be falling in love with her, but can he see the person she really is? Does Mclean herself know?


I should start by saying: This is Mother Effin' Dessen. So, clearly it's awesome.

But besides that, this is probably my favorite book of hers.

Mclean was really, really relatable. The whole idea of having different lives everywhere she goes. It's totally true. I'm a different person in school, out of school, around family, around my parents, around my siblings...we all have many different faces. Mclean just takes it to a whole new level.

Dave was probably my favorite Dessen boy. He was sweet and funny and lovely, even though things at home weren't necessarily normal.

I loved the plot, with all the little details in the side characters and other romances and the family dynamic throughout the book. All of it was slightly overdramatic, but otherwise realistic. Wonderful.

I wish I could give you guys a better review but
A) This is Sarah Dessen
B) I'm writing this a month after reading...yeah.

Just know I absolutely adored this book, my favorite Sarah Dessen book, and it's not straight up chick lit, so I think everyone should read it. EVERY. ONE.

--Julie

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, yay! Glad to hear that What Happened to Goodbye is as good as it sounds! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get this one. My students adore Sarah Dessen--and so do I! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome review :) I've never read one of her books but this one I'm thinking about giving a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for this one! :) I hope it will be my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sarah Dessen novels! I just purchased two not too long ago, I can't wait to read them(:
    Awesome review:D
    lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seriously give the best reviews out there. Can't wait to purchase this book!

    http://shadyasimone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.