Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum


Die for Me 
by Amy Plum


Summary: My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Well then. This book...



Yeah, so I really liked this book a lot. This review will probably be pretty short because explaining exactly what I liked about it is not something I can do in detail...seriously, I tried -- I just stared at the blank page for a stupid amount of time then scrolled aimlessly through tumblr.

The book has the main character dealing with the death of her parents, and that's a touchy subject for me, but Amy Plum managed to write it without making it depressing to read while still showing how a tragedy like that isn't just completely devastating, but it totally changes your whole life and has this impact on the person that you are and who you'll become.

I liked the characters a lot. Kate annoyed me sometimes, but it was in a good way...like, I'd be rooting for something to happen and she would be realistically stubborn about it and so I'd get annoyed but still appreciate the fact that Amy Plum didn't have Kate suffer from Bella Swan Syndrome, where she's all "ooh, I love this guy I barely know and I want to die for him and spend forever with him in all of our Mary Sue/Gary Stu glory." - I liked Kate overall, she was a good protagonist. And I liked Vincent - cute French boy characacter totally brought the awesome.

My favourite characters were the side characters though. They kind of stole the show for me - I loved Kate and Vincent, but his friends and her family had great personality that really shone through during their scenes.

Hmm. What else?

Oh, the plot. I loved it. I loved that we got something original with this book. I mean, it still had those cliche elements that have been flooding the YA supernatural/fantasy bookshelves for years, but they were quite well executed and the supernatural element of the book was original and something I haven't read before (okay, so it was original to me, if there is other books out there like it, I just haven't found them).

This book is also another one added to the list of books that have made me want to move to Paris, or visit Paris at the very least. Books with Paris as a setting, when they're written well, manage to make the city itself seem like a character and I end up caring about it and loving it and the awesome thing is, unlike the fictional characters, Paris is real and I can go there. I will go there, someday.

That's all I can think to say, except:

You. Yes, you, Amy Plum. Hi. Um...
Kthnxbai!

Later.

p.s. gorgeous cover is gorgeous, agreed?

5 comments:

  1. Agreed! I loved Die for Me! And Vincent...swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! The gifs that you used for your review made me laugh! And I completely agree! The cover for Die for Me is gorgeous; I wasn't such a fan of the original cover though (it screamed Phantom of the Opera to me). I haven't picked up a copy of Die for Me just yet, but I definitely intend to do so before the week is up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one. All those darling boys *swoons*
    Can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your review, although it's short ;) I had the same feeling after reading Die For Me, I really loved it. Too bad I don't have a paperback version or I'd reread it over and over again! I love the cat doing "I can haz sequel now?". Amazingly funny image!

    I'm a new GFC follower btw! ;)
    Kind regards,
    I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.