Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent
Veronica Roth
HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books
[May 3, 2011]

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

Times like this, words fail me.

I genuinely just loved this book. The plot was full of actions and twists and was totally amazing. Even when I knew the truth behind the mysteries, I was still in love. I still had to read on. Because I didn't know what the hell would be DONE about it. There was always something going on, always something important.
The characters were so, so perfect. When I say perfect, I don't mean PERFECT, I mean...the way they were crafted, I sympathized with almost every character, no matter how big or small their role was. Of course, there were a few characters I didn't like, but we weren't supposed to, so it was cool. But the rest? They were all unique individuals that I loved a little bit, like they were real people.

Four was, obviously, my favorite character. I loved Tris too, but some of the things Four did...he's just so wonderful and he's a bad boy and it was just amazing all that he did and felt. I really wouldn't mind having book 2 in his perspective. He's just so...swoon-y.

This book was the perfect blend of good characters, action filled plot, and romance. Very similar to The Hunger Games, but I think I liked this more. Read it, read it, read it! Then we can all wait for Book 2 together.

--Julie

6 comments:

  1. Omigosh, I know! It's was so hard for me to write about Divergent without just repeating "awesome amazing awesome" and flailing.

    But anyway, I totally agree with your review! *swoons over Four*
    I can't wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review makes me want to read this book even more. (If that's possible). And better than the Hunger Games? I definitely need to get a copy. Thanks for the great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are saying that Matched is like the new Hunger Games.

    Check out/follow my new blog at http://ya100words.blogspot.com/
    to find YA Lit book reviews in 100 words or less and songs to read by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your review on Divergent, I went straight to Amazon and bought the book on my Kindle. THANK YOU SO MUCH! This book was just as awesome as The Hunger Games (like you said)!!! ♡


    Check out my blog at http://shadyasimone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished reading it yesterday. :P
    I can't wait for the sequel!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I haven't read this book yet. But I did watch the film, and read the 2nd book already. But of course I bet the book was even more awesome than the film! Based on your review on it, it must've been one heck of a book. xx

    Check me out on: http://littlejuwia.blogspot.com
    Newbie here. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.