Friday, 6 May 2011

Flawless by Lara Chapman


Flawless
by Lara Chapman


Summary: Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.
I really, really liked this book. Way more than I thought I would. It arrived in the post, for review, and I ended up reading it right away (cover lust won me over - the cover is gorgeous, right?), even though I have loads of other books to finish.

I can't really think of how to explain what I liked about the book, because if I did, it would just seem like I was ranting about the characters...because Kristen really annoyed me sometimes and so did Sarah and I wanted to scream at Rock for being so - oblivious. But the fact that the characters got to me so much is why I liked it. The book was written in a way that made me actually care enough about the characters to feel annoyed by them or sad for them or happy for them.

Even though the characters irritated me sometimes, overall, I liked them. Kristen annoyed me the most, but she had her moments where it made it impossible to hate her, and her and Sarah's friendship made sense in this weird way that I could really relate to - it's funny how those friendships work with people who seem like polar opposites.

Parts of the plot were pretty predictable, but the story was told well. It made me want to read Cyrano de Bergerac, and when a book makes me want to read the story that it's based on or research more on the subject matter (like the way Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly made me want to read up on the French Revolution, for example), then it's a sign that the book did a good job. If the story wasn't told well, I wouldn't be even remotely interested in reading more about what the content was based on.

The book was a quick read, it surprised me that I liked it so much when it was such a short book. Books like this often promise to be deep and meaningful, but fall short of that and the stories aren't long enough to really fit in the message that they're trying to get across...even if this book was short, it got it's message across and it was a good one: it was about learning to accept who you are and about finding the right balance between loyalty to those you care about and loyalty to yourself.

That's all I can think to say about the book: it was a really fun read and I was hooked from start to finish.

There is something else I want to mention, one of the few negatives of the book for me, but it's spoiler-ish...so I'll write it below, don't continue reading if you haven't read the book/don't want spoilers.

Last spoiler warning: stop reading now if you don't want them....


...


.... .... 


... ... ....

Okay, so in the book, it kind of seems like Rock has feelings for Sarah. Like, when he's saying these things to Kristen, he really does mean them to be for Sarah. His little comments, like his reaction to her being asked out and her being self deprecating and that scene outside of Kristen's house...it just seemed like he liked her as more than a friend, it was like he was going to confess it in that scene. And then Kristen said he was looking for her at the poetry reading.

But then, in the end, none of that was really resolved. It's hinted throughout the book that he has feelings for her - and that he is aware of those feelings and they're not just something he figured out later - but in the end, it is like he really was into Kristen and we never know if he liked Sarah all along, or if it's this new realisation once he finds out that the personality he fell for was Sarah, not Kristen.

Did that bother anyone else? I do wish he had made some comment to indicate that he liked her before he knew it was her...or that he suspected it was her all along but just didn't want to admit it to himself.

...Guess that's all I wanted to say.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. That does seem like a weird ending. Maybe it has to do with keeping alongside the original? I honestly don't know. But yah, that's sort of weird that it would be kind of unresolved.

    Glad you enjoyed it overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided the spoilery stuff (since I haven't read it), but the rest of the review was great! It's crazy when you love the character's you hate, but that's when you know the book was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- I'm a new follower (via The Story Siren)- your blog is so fun!

    Flawless seems like a good read- I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.