Monday, 16 May 2011

Jane by April Lindner


by April Lindner


Summary: Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback.

Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

Okay, so basically....djdsbliedhleuhrfrofiiotnOMGWTFBBQYAY!









 /Gif interpretation. I was struggling with coherency when I tried to turn my thoughts on the book into words.

I really, really loved this book and I'm not quite sure why I loved it as much as I did...it was just an awesome brooding romance with a main character that I genuinely liked and a love interest who made me swoon; he was the perfect mix of bad boy and loveliness. I'd like to keep him but, alas, he is fictional -- damn.

But yeah, I absolutely loved it. Seriously. Absolutely. Totally. I loved the book so much that as soon as I was finished, I put it straight into the pile of books that I'm going to force Batman to read (Batman as in my best friend who is nicknamed Batman, not the fictional character). I only force books on her that I think she may love.

Jane -- she really stands out amongst the other protagonists in books I read. She was awkward and actually was different and not just one of those characters that we're supposed to believe is a unique little snowflake without it ever being shown. Her character really grows in the book too, her character development is really well done and I love that, when a character changes throughout the book but it doesn't feel like a forced change.

I haven't read Jane Eyre yet, but I own it and this book made me want to read it so I'm going to do that when I have time. Another sign of a good retelling = if it makes me want to read the original. I'd still recommend the book even to people who don't like the original, the retelling might push your buttons in a way Jane Eyre didn't (Batman didn't like the original and I still forced this book on her and she's a tough judge when it comes to books).

Anyway, this review has been scattered and not very good, sorry. But I'm so glad that Julie and I did the whole books my co-blogger forced me to read challenge, because if we hadn't then I probably would've put off reading this book for even longer and I would've been missing out on the awesomeness.

Fun/silly fact: when I finished reading, I attempted to make fan art for it (because I like to properly visualize the characters using actual people), but I couldn't get any good pictures to work with. I pictured Ian Somerhalder as Nico (and he'll be 33 this year, so he could be old enough). Failed attempt:


Later.

6 comments:

  1. Jane is pretty excellent, however I picture Nico as looking a bit more older, since I think he was in his 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Runs off to order a copy*

    I have Jane Eyre, but I haven't read it yet either. The BBC's version the other year was pretty awesome.

    Fantastic review... scattered as it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I effing LOVE this books. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at this book for awhile and you really make me want to read it. I'm getting it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My review of Jane was also very scatterbrained, because I loved it so much! I think your picture of Jane is a great match... but I imagined Nico as an edgy James Mcavoy... ;)
    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
    Book Review of "Jane" by April Lindner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful book...I'm only 16 and I totally pictured Nico as Ronnie Radke! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.