Saturday, 21 May 2011

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


Jellicoe Road
Melina Marchetta
HarperCollins
[September 1, 2006]

In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.
At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.

Everything about this book is different.
The writing is refreshing and just overall different. It was sad yet happy and a wonderful blend of past and present. It was addicting, as well. The story itself would drag a bit, but I'd still want to keep reading.

Taylor and Griggs were so adorable and funny together. They were like those little kids who pull each others hair and put a finger next to their face and scream "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU," but they have crushes on each other. Except Taylor and Griggs are older. I loved every minute of it with them. As individual people? Taylor was kind of a bitch and had her flaws, though I never hated her. Griggs didn't work too well without Taylor, either.

The story itself was unique, not something we see often in YA. It wasn't a romance or a dystopian or a paranormal or even the traditional contemporary. It's a different book with different characters and I loved it.

There's not much else I can say. I'm already paranoid I was super spoilery. Overall, this book is just fantastic. Another one to pick up ASAP.

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this author, but haven't read anything by her yet! Great review, you've definitely convinced me to be it on my to-be-read list :)
    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this book less than and hour ago and truly, really loved it. There was something about the writing and the characters and just...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, it's hard to put a label on it, but it's still so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all-time favorites. So glad you loved it!
    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard that it's a little tough to get into at first but so worth it. Heard so many amazing things about it! You worn't spoilery don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that Jellicoe Road was a good read but after looking over the blurb I continually dismiss it. You might have twisted my arm with this review, though. I think I'll give it another look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many good things about this book, I finally got a hold of a copy. Now I just have to find time to settle down and read it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.