Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey



Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
by Beth Fantaskey


Summary: The undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©.

Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.
Hmm.


So this book was not what I was expecting. And I absolutely freaking adored it.

I don't know if it was the cover (did not like) or the title (meh) or the summary ("sounds so cliche, the vampire thing is so overdone right now" *headdesk*), but I just wasn't in a rush to read it. The only reason I even bought the book was because so many people gushed about how awesome it was, but I still put off reading it for ages -- I only read it because of the challenge Julie and I had and I'm so glad that I did, the book is awesome.

It took me a little while to get into it (the writing bugged me in the beginning), but once I did, I was completely hooked.

I can't really explain the reasons I liked it properly, it's hard to put into words. I know I loved the characters, Lucius was amazing...I have a weakness for brooding bad boys who are good guys at heart and the fact he is Romanian makes me swoon like a pathetic fangirl (Romania is somewhere that I desperately want to visit) and I liked Jessica and the fact that she was realistically skeptical about the whole vampire thing for so long and that she was stubborn and didn't pull a Bella Swan the minute she met a pretty boy. I liked her best friend, parents and uncle, too.

I really liked how the vampire thing was handled. As far as mythical creatures go, vampires are probably the most overused over the past few years and I thought I was all burned out on vampire stories but I loved this one and it didn't feel cliche and overdone. It reminded me why I loved vampires in the first place. I read Dracula when I was about 12, loved vampire movies -- the more Twilight-ish books are a pathetically watered down form of vamp-lit but Jessica's Guide kind of got back to the roots of the kind of stories that I love.

I'll stop with the rambling now, but I really loved the book and if you were like me; put off by the title/cover/summary/vampires, then maybe give it a chance anyway. I can't wait to read the sequel and get more of these characters.

Later.

p.s. one thing I hated about the book was her original name: Antanasia. It irritated me so much, every time I read it, I forced myself to substitute a different name in its place like I did when I read the name "Wanda" in The Host. =P

4 comments:

  1. I'm kind of over vampires, and the title sounded silly -- so I'm glad I read your review! I'll have to give this one a chance now =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahahaha I'm so happy to read your review because I had the same experience. I don't know why I finally just picked it up and read it, but it was surprisingly good/cute! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover kept me from read this too! I really liked your review so I might pick it up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the vampire lore and Jessica's wariness to believe it was done very well in this book! However, I just didn't connect with the characters in this one :(

    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
    Book Review of “Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side” by Beth Fantaskey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.