Saturday, 14 May 2011

The Lucky Kind by Alyssa Sheinmel (Blog Tour)


 

The Lucky Kind
Alyssa Sheinmel
Knopf Books for Young Readers
[May 10, 2011]

High school junior Nick Brandt is intent on getting a girlfriend, and Eden Reiss is the one that he wants. He has exactly four semesters to get the girl, but when the phone rings on an otherwise ordinary Tuesday night, life for Nick and his parents will never be the same. What had been a seemingly idyllic home life has become something else entirely. But with this shake-up comes a newfound confidence for Nick; he's become a bolder version of himself, no longer afraid to question his parents, and no longer afraid to talk to Eden.

Alyssa B. Sheinmel has written a powerfully gripping story about family secrets, falling in love, and finding luck in unexpected--and sometimes unwelcome—circumstances.

 Alyssa Sheinmel proves her writing genius yet again.

This book was beautifully written and captivating. I ended up reading half of it in one sitting. Then the other half I read in the car on our outings last week. It was a bit of a fight to get me out of the car a few times. And having a male narrator just improved it. The style in this story wasn't like someone wrote it down and let me read it. It's like Alyssa and I are sitting face to face and she's telling me this story about Nick. Or maybe Nick's sitting in front of me, telling me this story.

Now Nick as a character. For most of the book I was like "Ok, cool, normal teenage boy, whatever." When THE THING happens, his reactions were a tad annoying, but understandable. But there was a portion of the book where I was like "WHAT THE EFF NICK? STOP BEING STUPID. STOP IT." He listened to me, but it took a while. And it's probably a good sign that I got this angry with him. If I didn't, it'd probably mean I didn't care about him.

The romance was really interesting. It was a typical teenage romance, but with just enough of a twist that I was intrigued to see where it'd go. Eden was a fantastic love interest and character and I would love a book about Eden.

It's a short, quick read and it kept me invested. I don't think it needed to be shorter or longer or anything. It was a perfect balance for the story.

Beyond all that, I really, really liked this book. I'm not sure I LOVED it the way I did The Beautiful Between, but it's still another fantastic read that I highly recommend for anyone that likes contemporary and romance and characters that just make sense. Also, Stevie wins.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. This one looks really good - I'm really curious about what "the thing" is that happens. I've put it on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.