Monday, 2 May 2011

The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

The Magnolia League
Katie Crouch
Poppy
[May 3, 2011]
After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?

As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city.

This was a take it or leave it book for me. 

It seemed almost like it was trying too hard to be a book for teens. They all drank and everyone thought Alex was on drugs and she and the only other "different" person at the high school were like lepers to most people. If Alex hadn't been a Magnolia, they would've been the total, stereotypical outcasts. Maybe my school's weird, but the people that listen to different music and wear a lot of darker clothes blend together with the people who wear nicer clothes and such. So it kind of annoyed me.

The book was also kind of predictable. It was kind of obvious what will happen with Alex's boyfriend from home and Hayes' brother and Madison. I was bored with the plot and the basic formula of it. On top of that, it seemed like there wasn't really much happening. To me it seemed like the whole book was just the set up for the sequel I'm assuming there will be.

Despite this, I was still willing to keep reading. I didn't have this overwhelming urge to constantly read, but I did want to get to the ending. At the ending, things picked up. There was action and excitement in the last 20 or 30 pages. Enough to tempt me to read the next book, but not enough to make me crave it.

This was a pretty simple read, no extra thought required and cliche. It's a book to try and hopefully others will like it more than I did.

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, The Magnolia League was kind of "meh" for me, too. It could've been so awesome (love the hoodoo idea), but alas, it just didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and honest review. I don't think I'll be reading this one anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like characters that are cliches. I've been wanting to read this, i'll probably give it a go anyways, but it I will probably put it in the backburner for now.

    Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I didn't like it either, but for a very different reason. My review is at (http://audreyreadsandreviews.blogspot.com/) if you care to read it.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.