Thursday, 23 June 2011

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Beauty Queens
Libba Bray
Scholastic Press
[May 24, 2011]

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island. 
Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

 I want to marry this book.

Libba Bray continues to be a genius in this book. It was witty and hilarious and fun. But it also made me think. About America as a country and the economy and what society values. That was the main point of the book since it's, you know, a satire.

I adored the Beauty Queens and all of the other characters that popped up. They were all unique individuals (except when they weren't supposed to be) and everyone played an important part in the story. The girls were all these wonderful, unique characters and each of them was beautiful and special and intelligent in her own way. I loved what Libba did with these girls to prove her point.

The story itself was never dull. There was all these sub-plots for all the girls and all these mysteries. They covered bits that weren't about the girls and was going on in the outside world.  There were character "biographies" and "commercial breaks" and these fun little extras to ensure people stay invested and entertained. Just...never a dull moment in this book. My favorite part, however, would have to be the footnotes. Especially #47. You will love it too if you know Libba.

The ending was fantastic. You just...have to read it to understand.

Honestly, this book was just beyond amazing or fantastic or any other words I could try to give you. It was pretty much perfect, except I want it to be longer. I want more. There's just NOT ENOUGH OF THE PERFECTION.

So, this book and I...we're gonna go frolic in a meadow and then say our vows. And you should probably go get your own copy so you can frolic in the meadow with us.

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. I ADORED this - I can't wait for a chance to meet Libba and fangirl in person. :D Everybody I've lent my copy to has adored it, too, even my boyfriend. Beauty Queens = perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can marry it, as long as you let us read it still! We're dying to get our hands on this, and your review is not making us any more patient... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for this one! It sounds like a great mix of funny and poignant. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book and never given it a second glance, if I'm honest, but when you said it was inspired by Lord of the Flies, that made me realise that it must be a very different book from what I assumed it would be. I wonder how a female LOTF would work... guess I could find out by reading this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.