Monday, 13 June 2011

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade


The Ghost and the Goth
by Stacey Kade


Summary: Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?
I really loved this book. It wasn't insanely original or a book with a deep meaning that'll get under your skin, it was just...really fun to read. It was cute and entertaining and funny and I loved it.

I adored the characters. I absolutely hated the principal and the therapist dude to the point where I wanted to scream at them but didn't because, well, I'd look ridiculous screaming at a book.... Will was lovely, I just wanted to hug him and Alona was surprisingly likeable considering the fact that she wasn't...particularly likeable? Does that even make sense? I hope it does.

I loved that Alona and Will's relationship develops naturally, it doesn't feel forced and neither of them has to really change for it to work, instead they just learn to really see each other beyond their superficial judgements. I especially liked Alona's character development -- how she stays the same but is different, it's not like one of those books where the mean girl suddenly sees the error of her ways and turns into a good girl who is nice all the time, she's still Alona.

The plot wasn't particularly original...the first half of the book was like a mash-up of two of the NaNoWriMo stories I've written in the past (Just A Little Bit Dead and Broken Strings), right down to a couple of the plot twists and I'm sure I've read other books like it too. The second half was more original though and even the parts of the book that weren't, it was still good and had me hooked from the start.

I'm kind of a sucker for the whole ghost/medium type story and the popular girl/goth cliche.

There was some romance in the book, but it felt more like a paranormal book that happened to have a romance subplot than being a book that is a "paranormal romance" and I really loved that. I don't want to give spoilers, so I won't say anymore about that.

Actually, there's not much I can say about the book really without giving spoilers so I guess I'll just leave the review at this: I loved it and you should read it if you want something light and fun to read. I'm dying to read the sequel now -- not because the book left me hanging or anything, I just want more of the characters.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. When i first saw this title I was a little wary, but it does actually sound really good.

    Nice blog.

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

    http://amysadumbrations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.