Friday, 3 June 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass
Myra McEntire
EgmontUSA
[June 14, 2011]

Since the age of fourteen, Emerson Cole has seen strange things – dead things – swooning Southern Belles, soldiers, and other eerie apparitions of the past. She’s tried everything to get rid of the visions: medication, counseling, asylums. Nothing’s worked.

So when Emerson's well-meaning brother calls in yet another consultant from a mysterious organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to give it one last try.

Michael Weaver is no ordinary consultant. He's barely older than she is; he listens like no one she's ever met before; and he doesn't make her feel the least bit crazy. As Emerson ventures deeper into the world of the Hourglass, she begins to learn the truth about her past, her future--and her very life.

A seductive time-slip novel that merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres, Myra McEntire’s Hourglass is a stunning debut from an author to watch.

Are you sick of me talking about this book yet? No? Good, because I'm gonna talk about it more today and again on it's release day and again some time after that and probably for the rest of forever.

So, back in February I told you that Rachel Hawkins is the Queen of One-Liners. Now, I still love and adore Rachel and the Hex Hall series but...Myra McEntire out-One-Lined her. I was putting in my obnoxiously bright post its on parts that made me laugh and quotes I loved. Hourglass has, um, 60 post its. Not all made me laugh, but about 98% of them did. The other 2% were just beautiful ones I fell in love with.

Needless to say, the book is funny. Lots of snark and sarcasm and Emerson just has all these little sayings and quips that I fell in love. She reminded me of Evie from Paranormalcy and Sophie from Hex Hall, but with her own brand of badass. For an example of her badass, I give you this:

When I finally regained control, I gave him a sweet smile and reached out to shake.
Then I flipped him over my shoulder.
As he lay on the ground panting, I walked to stand over him, looking down, my smile still in place. "So I'll see you later?"
He blinked once. I took that as a yes.
Her level of badass is one I can only strive for.

Then there's Michael. I swooned over him in my Boys I Wish I Could Marry post in February. I told you that he lives in my room. I explained to you his awesome. I think I'll just let him sum up his wonderful goodness this time:

"I don't drink, I prefer professional baseball and sorority girls aren't really my type."

He's also described as a male model whose muscles have muscles. And the romantic him, OH THE ROMANTIC HIM. I can't explain that, but to say the least, I'm expecting people to try and break into my room and steal him away from me. I think it's time I invest in guard dogs...

Then the story itself. I was totally swept up in the story and all the action involved. Sometimes I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. My heart would pound or I'd want to cry or I could barely breathe. At one point, I found myself thinking about how something happened earlier but surely that was the first book in the series and how far they'd come...then I remembered there were no books before this, that event only happened 200 pages ago. THAT'S how much stuff happens and how invested I feel with these characters and their story. And maybe it's a sign I should see somebody about memory loss.

Then of course the plot twists. I did not see ONE THING coming. At all. Maybe because I'm oblivious now a days, maybe because I didn't try to think about it, but I honestly had no idea that was going to happen at the end! To say there wasn't lots of "OH [EXPLETIVE], NO WAY" moments would be a lie. 

Then there's the end. Oh the end. Obviously, I won't say what happened. But by time I closed the book...it's hard to explain how I felt. The only thing I can equate it to is when I finished Mockingjay. There was just such a roller coaster of emotions, I felt like I'd been crying for three hours or I'd been punched. I was exhausted from feeling so much in such a little time...the only phrase I could use is emotionally drained.

So Hourglass is snarky, sarcastic, funny, romantic, action-packed, and surprising. And there's two hot guys (Oh yeah, there's two. But you'll have to read it to decide about him). Emerson easily makes my list of Lovely Badass Heroines. Umm...is there anything else I can say besides I loved it with the passion of a burning suns? Which, may sound crazy but is totally true?

No matter what, 2011 is an excellent year for YA and this one is definitely one of my favorites. The more I think about it, the more I think it IS my favorite. Ever. Like the goodreads summary says, Myra McEntire is DEFINITELY an author to watch. And if this review didn't convince you:

Here's a post I did in April 
Danielle from Overflowing Shelf also gushes about Hourglass.
And so does Andye at Reading Teen.

--Julie

P.S. Why are you still reading this? PRE-ORDER HOURGLASS NOW. Or, umm, monkeys will attack you!

7 comments:

  1. Love your review! It makes me laugh, and I definitely want to pick this book up now. The romance aspect that you spoke of sounds awesome, and that is always something I look for in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I pre-ordered this one! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review!! Thanks for the link to my review. I cannot wait to get my hands on a finished copy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And me... I gushed! Don't forget me! :(

    GREAT review. You captured it wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my hands are like twitching now, LOL. I want to preorder this so badly! WHERE IS THE MONEY WHEN I NEED IT? Anyways, thanks so much for the review! You've made Hourglass sound 13973498274 times better than it did before (not that it didn't sound good then!). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want this book after your raving about it but its not being released in the UK :( Can you try and talk to some UK pubs and get her published over here? otherwise im gunna have to get it imported! I can't not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I want this book SOOOOOO BADDDDD.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.