Thursday, 30 June 2011

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley


A Little Wanting Song
by Cath Crowley

Australian title: Chasing Charlie Duskin


Summary: CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on the moonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grieving family, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she's not entirely unspectacular.

ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke but can't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in. Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

I love to read. I know, I know, I'm totally stating the obvious there but I have a point: I love to read, and books like this are a big reason why.

When you read a lot, you come across so many different books; good books and bad books, books you love or like or hate, books that make you laugh or think or cry or just...feel. Some books get under your skin, while others just entertain you for a little while. Every so often though, you stumble across a rare gem of a book that just -- clicks. Something about it just gets to you in away that makes you feel alive and inspired in a way that other books can't quite manage and when you finish the last page, you just want to keep reading more and more books to find that feeling again.

Or maybe I'm the only person this happens to. But either way, this book was one of those books for me -- I love a lot of books, but there aren't many that trigger that feeling in me but this one did. It's right up there with books like Jellicoe Road, The Pipers Son, Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Sky is Everywhere and books by John Green

I guess I'm just trying to explain that because it's easier than trying to explain what it is that makes this book so brilliant to me, because all I can come up with is a generic list that doesn't even begin to do the book justice; amazing characters who screwed up in ways that made them real and they were unique, the book had amazing writing that made me ache at times or laugh and stick so many scraps of paper in the book to mark the pages of quotes I loved and the story...I don't know why, but I just loved it. Music being woven throughout the story? Adored that so much, too.

The book was like a song, one of the great ones that you hear and feel and know you won't forget and that years down the line it will still be one of your favourites. I don't know if other people would feel this way about this book -- I guess that's one of the great things about reading, the way people can interpret the same story in different ways, it's so subjective -- but I loved it and Cath Crowley is on my instant read list now...the only bad thing is that finding her books is difficult seeing as this is the only one published outside of Australia (that I can find at least).

Later.

p.s. If this review doesn't make sense, please note that I stayed up all night reading this book and it's 2:30pm as I'm writing this and I still haven't slept yet, I get more rambly and incoherent when I'm sleepy. :)

4 comments:

  1. wow this one sounds awesome! I Must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this one sounds awesome! I Must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately adding this one to the wish-list. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that this review is BRILLIANT. I felt the exact same way after reading this book (and Graffiti Moon as well). There really is no other way to describe the magic of Charlie Dorkin and Rose and Dave and even Luke.

    Cath Crowley is also on my instant reading list! I will buy anything that gal decides to write! :)

    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

    Book Review of “A Little Wanting Song” by Cath Crowley

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.