Saturday, 11 June 2011

Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors


Mad Love
by Suzanne Selfors


Summary: When you're the daughter of the bestselling Queen of Romance, life should be pretty good. But 16-year-old Alice Amorous has been living a lie ever since her mother was secretly hospitalized for mental illness. After putting on a brave front for months, time is running out. The next book is overdue, and the Queen can't write it. Alice needs a story for her mother—and she needs one fast.

That's when she meets Errol, a strange boy who claims to be Cupid, who insists that Alice write about the greatest love story in history: his tragic relationship with Psyche. As Alice begins to hear Errol's voice in her head and see things she can't explain, she must face the truth—that she's either inherited her mother's madness, or Errol is for real.
I can’t think of much to say about this book. It wasn’t what I was expecting…I liked it, it was entertaining but there were some things that stopped me from loving it.

The biggest issue was that it read like typical chick lit; cute, entertaining story but not much depth and not one that would stick with me -- which is honestly fine, I read and enjoy plenty of books like that, the only problem I had with the book having that feel was that it didn’t mesh well with the subject matter.

Basically, the book deals with some serious issues (mental illness, the effects it can have on the family of people who suffer from it) but the general tone of the book made the story feel kind of flat in that area and something that should’ve/could’ve had a bigger impact on me just…didn’t. I barely had any reaction to it at all except wishing those parts of the book would drag less so I could get back to the bits that interested me.

The romance in the book was kind of just there. It was sweet but it's not the kind that pulled me in and gave me butterflies and had me rooting for the characters to be together, it didn't feel even close to being the focus of the book, it was cute and realistic in that crush/like feeling instead of being about love (in a book that has cupid as a character, I was expecting more about love). The Errol/Alice relationship had more spark than the actual romance in the book and I wish that was explored more.

The thing’s I liked about the book were the characters, particularly the minor ones (there were times where I just didn’t like Alice or the way she handled things but she grew on me). They didn’t make me laugh or make me swoon or make me wish I had people that awesome in my life…they were just likeable and realistic in most ways and I liked that.

My favourite part of the book was Errol and his story - he was my favourite character and his story was like…a story within the story and it was the most interesting part to me, especially seeing as I love certain aspects of mythology. Honestly, I think if the book was a little longer and focussed more on him and his story then I would’ve adored it (hell, if it just told his story in detail instead, cutting out everything else, then I would’ve loved it).

Basically, the book was enjoyable. I liked it, but it’s not one that will be lingering in my mind after I finish this review (as the really good books tend to), I’ll just put it up on my shelf and easily start reading something new. I still recommend the book though, the issues I had with the book might not bother other people and even if they do, it's still a cute light read.

Later.

p.s. Is it just me, or is the US cover way better? The UK one just screams “14 year old girly-girls, come and read me!” while the US one looks a bit…classier or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.