Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Sharks & Boys by Kristen Tracy

Sharks & Boys
Kristen Tracy
Hyperion Book CH
[June 28, 2011]


When 15-year-old Enid Calhoun follows her boyfriend Wick to Maryland for a party, fearful that he might be intending to cheat on her, she finds herself sneaking on board a houseboat where Wick and his friends plan to have a wild night. But before the boys discover their stowaway, a hurricane strikes, and the teenagers are carried miles from the shore and shipwrecked. What follows is a harrowing, yet heartwarming, story of survival, as the teens battle hypothermia, dehydration, man-eating sharks--and along the way, confront their own deepest secrets, including their catalytic roles in the disaster.

 This seems like a cute, silly read. Until you actually read it and your look on life starts to change.

At first, I didn't like Enid. She seemed silly and boy crazy because, let's be honest, who drives 1,000 miles to follow a boyfriend that broke up with them? But she did grow a lot as a character. I wish we could've seen her grow more, because it seems like she'll continue developing a lot after the end of the book.

Every character had flaws. Even the most flawed character had moments of redemption. And I appreciated that because no person is entirely unlikable (I mean...kind of. I guess Voldemort's got nothing going for him. But anyway). I developed an attachment to all the characters, no matter how short their appearance.

The story also made me think a lot. Things happen in this book that made me question my life and death and religion and what I'd do in this situation. I also thought about forgiveness and how much I could do it myself. At one point it made me cry...it was a very long point.

The beginning drags, I won't lie. This was my first book for the Book-A-Day Challenge and I was discouraged. But I made myself sit down and read it and I was totally absorbed in the book. Didn't even realize how much time had passed and how much I'd read until my butt started falling asleep and then I kept reading anyway. It's a really incredible, moving book. Just stick through the first 60 pages or so. There's a lot that goes on and a lot to learn and a lot to think about. It's just...an incredible, thought-provoking read I highly recommend.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.