Monday, 27 June 2011

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs


Tempest Rising 
by Tracy Deebs

UK Release date: July 4th
[note: that is the UK cover]

Summary: Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother.

The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kona, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did I loved it.

The first half of the book was a little slow…it wasn’t bad and I did enjoy reading it, it just didn’t hook me. Then there was sort of a turning point in the middle and I didn’t want to stop reading, even when I was getting so tired that the words on the pages started to blur.

Other than the slow start, the only other thing that sometimes bothered me about the book was that the writing felt a bit ramble-y or repetitive at times but I liked the story enough for me to overlook that most of the time.

I think this is the first mermaid book that I’ve read (at least that I can think of) and it has totally left me wanting to read more. The whole…underwater world that Tracy Deebs created was brilliant and I really wish there was a sequel so I could read more about it. I won't say anything more about that, because I can't without spoiling it but it was really awesome.

Tempest was an odd character. At times, she frustrated me beyond belief and I hated her a little bit for the choices she made or things she said or did or didn't do, but then she had her shining moments where she would make me forget all of that and adore her. And Kona…well, swoony-melty-happy feelings were induced by his character, he was just lovely and I wish he was real and that I could keep him.

The romance in the book…I really liked that, it was my second favourite part of the story after the whole ocean world. It was a bit - Love At First Sight-ish, or obsession/lust at first sight, to begin with but the fantasy element made me alright with it. While reading, in my head I was like this half the time:

The *Bad Guy* of the book actually managed to creep me out a few times and that is very rare in books. I don’t get scared or creeped out easily (unless spiders or the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz are involved then I’m basically a quivering ball of fear), so I loved that the book managed to get under my skin like that a few times. Again, I can’t really explain properly without spoiling the book, so I won’t go there.

I wish the book was longer. Or that it was the first in a series (I’m not sure if it is or not, there’s no mention of a sequel on goodreads yet?), it definitely leaves the book open for a sequel while working as a stand-alone...Tracy Deebs, write more, okay? Please? I'll buy you a pony?

Basically, I loved the book. It took a while to get into but once I did, it was so worth it and you should go read it, especially if you like mermaids or haven’t read books with mermaids before in which case this is a good one to start with.

Later.

*please note: I didn't draw those pictures, they're common meme type ones that are all over the internet (I found them on tumblr). :P

6 comments:

  1. LOL great review! This book sounds good, the only mermaid book I've read is Forgive My Fins which I loveedddddd so I need more mermaid books :) I love the illustrations lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little apprehensive about mermaid novels, but this sounds like a good one. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're a true artist that is just awesome xD I loved the only other 'surfing book' I've read, Raw Blue, so this one looks so fascinating! thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! LOL! I am in LOVE with the fact that you have little drawings in your review. Complete awesomeness.

    Hmmm. I've heard some not so great things about this book, but your review made me want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!!!! my gosh please write a sequel. And Jennifer you should read, I t is obviously better than the reviews that you've heard (: love love loved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be pleased to hear that the author has said her publisher has confirmed the sequel she has written will be published and is called Tempest Unleashed. I'm so excited- I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.