Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Reasons I Love Being a Book Blogger

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by the lovely ladies of The Broke and the Bookish.

There's a lot of things I love being a book blogger. Let's see if I can explain this properly.

1. Getting people interested in books I love. I love getting my thoughts out there and I love promoting books/authors I love. My friends and I all have different tastes, so it makes rec'ing books hard. But here I have hundreds of people who listen to me rave about a book and then they want to read that book and sometimes they send death threats. But I know they're death threats filled with love. And really, I get the BIGGEST thrill when someone says they're buying a book based off of my review. I grin stupidly and sometimes I clap and bounce. It makes my day!

2. The interaction with authors. Pre-blogging, authors were these mystical creatures who magically produced books. Now they're people I talk to often and I call friends. There are authors who like what I have to say and like this blog and that totally blows my mind. I'm this silly 16-year-old girl who gets to TALK TO AUTHORS I LOVE. This is CRAZYSAUCE and utterly mindblowing. Let's not even talk about when an author comments or emails or follows the blog/my twitter.

3. Learning how publishing works. Is this something I could've found out without being a blogger? Probably, but I wouldn't have bothered. Since getting into blogging, I've learned a lot about the process to publish a book and it makes me respect authors so much more and I can appreciate almost every book I read. I don't know every detail, but I know enough to be in awe of people who work in the industry and I know enough to want to be involved.

4. The other bloggers. I've said it many, many, many times. But the bloggers in this community are amazing, intelligent, funny people. There's a lot of generosity and kindness and openness. There are problems among bloggers, of course. But everyone has problems. And, to be totally honest, if things were perfect and kittens and rainbows all the time, things would be BORING. There's a perfect balance of kindness and dramz.

5. The full community. Bloggers, authors, editors, publicists, agents. Bestsellers and those still aspiring to write, people who have been blogging for 4 years and people who started 2 months ago. This community bans together in times of crisis, raising money for those in need by donating time and books and other services. When under attack, we bite back. Hard. It's incredible to be a part of this...force.

6. Lanna and Harmony. I can call people a reason, yes? Honestly, without blogging, Lanna and I probably wouldn't talk as often/much as we do. And I can't have such random conversations with just anyone. We talk about death and ghosts and spiders and bookshelves and dream houses and movies and tumblr and just...everything.
Harmony is probably one of my best friends. Total honesty at all times. The best critique partner I've ever had and this girl should probably be a life coach or a motivational speaker or something. And without blogging, I never would've known her.

7. The books I never would've read. Ever. I get a lot of recommendations from other bloggers and authors and I get random books from publishers. Books I probably NEVER would've picked up. And yet now I love them. Whole heartedly. Hex Hall, The Hunger Games, Divergent, all of Sarah MacLean's books, Salvaged, The Duff, Sea, Thirteen Reasons Why, and probably even Hourglass. Do you know what a tragedy that would've been?

8. The escape. Let's say I have homework. Well, surely I could work on a review instead? Well, I shouldn't review without doing homework first...maybe I'll just go on twitter and talk to people. There's just always someone to talk to, someway to escape everything I should do. Someone to tell me what I'm doing is okay, even if it's probably not. 

9. For keeping me informed. Like I mentioned, the blogging community is big on helping out during disasters and big about making sure we're informed. I know more about the situation in Libya then the news ever discusses and I wonder about them often. Same in Egypt. I know about all the floods and tornadoes and other disasters happening in this country and how it effects people, even people I talk to. The little bit of news I get to catch in the mornings and snippets I catch after that never tell me these things.

10. For what it's done for me. I talked about this in my YASaves post and my Speak Loudly post (not that most of you ever got a chance to read that...), but this community's done a lot for me. I feel more mature and intelligent because of wonderful people who tell me I am mature and intelligent. Yet I can also be myself in a way I can't always be myself with my friends. I'm always worried about being too annoying or whiny or needy. I'm always worried my friends willy stop liking me because I talk too much or I'm too honest with them. But here, I'm myself and people can take it or leave it. Sometimes I wonder why certain people don't like me, but I've grown to accept it. I have enough friends here that it doesn't bother me like it would in school. It's the kind of thing that I wish all teenagers could have. Because it's amazing.


I'm just...gonna leave it there.


--Julie

4 comments:

  1. HA. I'm a REASON.
    I feel so epic :P
    fabulous post, you know I totally agree

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list...and I think you and Harmony are *both* epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm a reason - awesome. I concur with basically your whole list, but substitute "Lanna" with "Julie"...I probably wouldn't still be blogging if I didn't have you as a co-blogger. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with pretty much every reason on this list. And yes, you and Harmony ARE both epic <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.