Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Book Tour: Love Story

Today we have a guest post from Jennifer Echols, author of many stories, but most recently Love Story. She's here to share her Book Picks from Teen Years. - Julie

I love this question so much, because writers are readers first.

Note: These books are old, because I am too.

Fifteen by Beverly Cleary. Most of Cleary’s novels are for younger readers, but she’s written some fabulous YA. I was so pleased to see that Smart Bitches Trashy Books reviewed The Luckiest Girl recently and gave it an A (VERY hard for an author to do over there: http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/the-luckiest-girl-by-beverly-cleary/). This was one of the books that first started me thinking about being a novelist.

Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice? by Paula Danziger. The other book that made me want to write. All this author’s books are a hoot and a half, but this one in particular was right up my alley, with lots of romantic scenes.

The Moonspinners by Mary Stewart. Strictly speaking, this is an adult romantic suspense novel, but it’s about as close as Stewart has come to writing a YA, with the characters on the youngish side of adult. It’s a gorgeous book.


Ransom by Lois Duncan. It used to be called Five Were Missing. My BFF and I would spend the night with each other, stay up late, and talk about how we would rewrite this book starring ourselves and the boys we had crushes on. In other words, we were writing fanfic way before the Internet.

The Beginning Place by Ursula K. Le Guin. Fantasy is not my usual bag--romance is--but the romance and the character studies in this book are enough to put it on my list of all-time favorites.

BTW, I get a lot of e-mail from readers saying they have read my books lots of times, and they beg me not to think they’re crazy. I have read every one of these books many, many times. As a reader I do not think you are crazy, and as a writer I consider this a huge compliment.

Some awesome books here! Thanks Jennifer!
--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.