Saturday, 23 July 2011

Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers


Fall For Anything
by Courtney Summers


Summary: When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world?

When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?
I loved this book and I honestly don't really know what to say about it. I don't think it was as good as Some Girls Are, the other book of Courtney's that I've read, because while I liked the story better it just...it didn't hurt as much to read even though it should have (especially considering I can totally relate to the dead dad part).

I liked Eddie a lot, even though she irritated me sometimes and it bothered me that she never properly stood up to Beth. Beth bugged me big time, she was almost cliche in her annoyingness (think wicked step mother cliche only she's not Eddie's step mum). Milo was lovely and Culler was...meh. But in general, I liked the characters (well, maybe not liked, but I liked the way they were written).

The ending of the book....it felt kind of anti-climactic almost or - pointless? I'm not sure how to word what I mean. It was like the book was building up to nothing, the twist in the story didn't really have too much of an impact on me and the parts of the story that I really wanted closure on or for something to be resolved just weren't, they were left hanging (particularly the Milo thing, the story introduces something there that I wish was explored more because that was the most interesting part of the book to me).

When I was reading, I was kind of a wreck reading the first half of the book then I was fine while reading the second half -- and I don't know if that was just me having a bad day while reading the first half or if it was the book, but Courtney Summers really has a talent for writing painful stories.

Basically, the book was really good and I loved it but in comparison to Courtney's other book that I read, it wasn't as good and it felt almost too short...like it could have been longer or that something more should have happened -- which is kind of funny, because that's how Eddie feels, like she needs more, that she's looking for more...maybe that was done intentionally and the story was more realistic because of it but realistic isn't always satisfying to read.

I'll stop with the rambling review now - I have a headache and my thoughts on the book are all scrambled anyway, so I apologize for the craptastic review. =P

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Well I haven't read her previous work so I had nothing to compare it to which probably worked in my favour. Agree about the ending, I mean I'm sure she could have come up with something better, but overall I adored the book. Looking very forward to her other novels now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first Courtney Summers book I read and I still haven't picked up the other two yet. So I can't compare but I agree that the author really has a talent for wiriting painful stories. ^-^

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review hasn't been so confused as some of mine were, don't worry about it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.