Saturday, 9 July 2011

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden
Tabitha Suzuma
Simon Pulse
[June 28, 2011]

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

Quite honestly, I've been putting off this review. Because I don't know how I feel about this book.

The characters were each well developed, each had a personality. Each was obviously effected (affected? I honestly don't understand the rules with this one) by their mom's failure, it wasn't just a plot device thrown in their. I came to love the younger siblings the way Lochan and Maya did and I came to love Lochan and Maya as well. I event wanted them to be together because they just worked.

The writing was really well done. It was addicting and fast paced and it looks like a big book but doesn't read like a big book. I got irritated at my brother for interrupting me. I probably would've started bawling at one point towards the end if I hadn't been sitting next to my brother. It was rather incredible.

I also was forced to think about my belief on relationships like this. Incest and all relationships considered taboo or outlawed. And it made me realize that I quite honestly believe if two people are in love and it's entirely consensual, there's no reason to stop it. I get with incest it's a matter of having kids, but people in those relationships are generally smart enough to know better and if not, they can be monitored to make sure they don't try to have kids. When it comes to age restrictions, I get it. A 12 year old probably shouldn't get involved with a 20 year old. But beyond that? My beliefs have been changed.

What bothers me is the ending. The ending changed everything for me. It changed the entire book for me. I can't tell if I liked the ending or not. It is what it is and I'm trying to accept it. The ending could be perfect or it could just be shattering for the sake of shattering. 

Overall, I really did enjoy this book. But the ending destroyed me and I'm not sure if I'm okay with that yet. I do recommend reading it for a good love story, a good family story, and a good thought provoker, just be prepared for that ending.

--Julie

SPOILERS COME HERE. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WISH TO BE SPOILED. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.










So, I'm just about to read the sex scene when my little brother starts calling for me. I was like OMG YOU LITTLE COCKBLOCK. Lanna was amused when I told her. Just thought I'd share.


















SPOILERS OVER.

2 comments:

  1. Wow -- now you've got me REALLY curious about that ending! This sounds like a very intense book, so I'll have to read it one day when I'm in the right mood. Thanks for the great, thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an epic read but I agree, I don't know how I feel about the ending...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.