Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire (+ fan cast)


Hourglass
by Myra McEntire


Summary: One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
[Quick note: this review will start out negative, but please stick with it]

This book has been very hyped up (if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you’ll know that my co-blogger, Julie, has been gushing almost constantly about the book since she read the ARC months ago to the point where you’re probably sick of hearing about it). I went into the book expecting to love it, but after 8 chapters I was kind of disappointed thinking it wasn’t going to live up to the hype.

In the first eight chapters, I was annoyed by silly little things like Emerson's over the top descriptions of how hot Michael is and how some of those descriptions didn’t really mesh well with her personality…it was like she was a normal sarcastic teenager and then turned into a middle aged romance writer whenever the guy was present (lust is fine, it was more - the phrasing and the things she noticed…verging on Bella Swan).

It bugged me how her priorities seemed so screwed up. For four years she’s been dealing with something really bad and finally she’s getting some answers but instead of that being her priority, she seemed to care more about the way Michaels shirt showed his muscles and how gorgeous he was.

That stuff annoyed me so much…for the first 8 chapters. And then it got awesome. Really, really awesome. I totally loved/adored/would like to marry this book (maybe not quite as much as Julie did, but pretty close).

 The story was really original, which is a rare gem in supernatural YA because a lot of them are all just slight variations of the same thing but this one did something different (at least, it did something I haven’t read before). I can't really fully explain the "something different" without giving spoilers, but just read it and see.

The characters were awesome; all of them, even the minor ones. Emerson was bad ass and I loved that she wasn’t weak and she stood up to Michael (especially seeing as in the beginning I thought she was going to turn into a doormat, Bella Swan style, letting him walk all over her just because he’s hot) and Kaleb was lovely.

I guessed some of the plot twists long before they happened, but some stuff totally took me by surprise and I was hooked from the start (even in those first chapters were I was annoyed, I was still hooked on the story itself).

The book did have me laughing out loud - like, properly laughing, which surprisingly doesn't happen often with books (the surprising part is because I am insanely easily amused - no joke, I was laughing at teaspoons the other day...granted, I hadn't slept in over 24 hours, but still) and it managed to make me cry, too, nearer the end and there were quite a lot of quotes that I loved too (ones that I could relate to, ones that I found funny, ones that were just clever or awesome etc.).

Basically, the book was totally hyped up for a good reason and I concur with all of Julie’s gushing comments about it. Honestly, if it wasn't for all the hype then those first 8 chapters probably wouldn't have annoyed me at all -- it was only because I went into it expecting amazingness (which in the end, it totally lived up to) right from the very start.

Oh, last thing then I'll shut up. I liked the book so much that I made a fan cast of characters (click it for full size). I may or may not have forgotten what some of them were supposed to look like:


Later.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it in the end, Julie may have killed you otherwise LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice review i fell in love with that book, too. who are the actors I only know Brit Robertson and is Lily Rihanna with long hair? :D xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael = Francisco Lachowski
      Thomas = Ryan Gosling
      Dru = Emilia Clarke
      Lily = Christina Milian
      Kaleb = Brant Daugherty
      Cat = I can't remember her name, I have it written down somewhere, I think she's a model though.
      Jack = Charlie Hunnam
      Ava = Cintia Dicker

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.