Friday, 1 July 2011

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison

Sing Me to Sleep
Angela Morrison
Razorbill
[March 4, 2010]

THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been "The Beast" - that's what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth's only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she's selected to be her choir's soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth's choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek's untethered passion - for music, and for Beth - leaves her breathless. Because in Derek's eyes? She's not The Beast, she's The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek's been hiding a dark secret from her ...one that could shatter everything.

This book annoyed me at first. I even thought it might be a DNF. But I pressed on and dear God, I’m thankful I did.

Beth isn’t always easy to like. She hates herself so much and it’s hard to read that. And then she just gives in to a makeover because nobody thinks she looks good enough. That aggravated my inner feminist. I get that most girls want to be pretty, but surgeries? A whole new routine just to get ready in the morning? Why is that necessary? Why can’t her friends just be happy with how she looks? But, once that part ended, things got better. Beth didn’t dislike herself so much. Her paranoia got irritating, as did the fact that she was completely oblivious to a fact that was kind of obvious. Despite that, the story and the love interests kept me going.

Derek, our Beauty, was so sweet and wonderful to Beth. Not totally honest, but most people would pick up as to why he’s not honest and then it’s actually explained and you’re like “Dear God, can I hug you? Please?” He genuinely loved Beth and it was wonderful to read. The other love interest, Scott, was a little too persistent for my liking, but he really did mean well. He was funny and kind. He just wanted Beth happy. They both did.

Like I mentioned before, the whole makeover aspect bothered me. It made the beginning a slow read for me. But once the Choir gets to Europe, things really get started and the story becomes fascinating. There are all kinds of little subplots going on and Beth’s story becomes extremely entertaining. I read and read and before I knew it, it was two am and I had been crying for 15 minutes and there were still a few pages left, but I couldn’t read through my tears and decided to take a few minutes to collect myself. The ending made me angry yet it was the right thing and I know that. I mean…timing wise maybe not the greatest but, you’ll see when you read it.

This book was frustrating yet thought provoking and romantic. If you can get through the makeover and look past Beth’s attitude, it’s a truly wonderful read.

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. uh oh, I ended up reading a little of this and declaring it a DNF. Now I'm thinking I better give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you I don't usually like when a Main Character hates herself but « sometimes it approaches the book from reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ahd this on my wish-list for a while but I dont think it would really be for me. Thank you for the honest review :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.