Friday, 8 July 2011

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott


The Unwritten Rule
by Elizabeth Scott


Summary: Sarah and Brianna have always been friends, and it's always gone like this: guys talk to Sarah in order to get closer to Brianna. So even though Sarah met Ryan first, she's not surprised that he ends up with Brianna (even though Sarah has a massive crush on him).

The three of them hang out, and Sarah and Ryan's friendship grows until one night an innocent exchange between them leads to a moment that makes Sarah realize that Ryan might be interested in her after all. But if there's one unwritten rule, it's this: you don't mess around with a friend's boyfriend.

So Sarah tries to resist temptation. But with the three of them thrown together more and more, tension builds between Sarah and Ryan, and when they find themselves alone together at one point, they realize they just can't fight how they feel anymore...

So I pretty much really, really loved this book.

It’s strange, because the subject matter? Something I’m definitely not cool with -- like, in real life, characters doing what they do in the book? So far from okay and it’s something that I’d never, ever be able to do to a friend…but reading about it is different. The whole falling for the best friends boyfriend cliché is - interesting/fun to read about. Call it a guilty pleasure.

The plot of the story is very predictable (the ending was the only part that wasn’t) and like I said, it’s cliché and the characters are very stereotypical - they each tick all the boxes that people in their roles take in stories like this. But the thing is, the story is so well written and the characters created so well that it’s easy to overlook that -- you can know it’s cliché and stereotypical and not give a damn and love the book anyway…which I did.

I’m sure everyone has been in Sarah’s situation before…well, maybe not exactly, but the whole liking a guy only to have him like your friend instead and then you have to see them be together, hear her talk about him and how amazing he is and you just have to bite your tongue and ignore that weird ache inside and the urge to scream at her that you know, you know how amazing he is because you saw it first. Nearly everyone probably has or will be in that situation at some point in their lives.

I haven’t felt that way in years, luckily, and I guess it’s strange to want to relive that feeling vicariously through characters in a book and actually enjoy it…but I did, as weird as that may be.

And I think that’s why I loved the book. Because it managed to make me hurt. I literally felt echoes of all those emotions that Sarah was feeling and that I’ve felt in the past -- it hooked me from the very first page and made me ache in that way you do when you want someone you can’t have and when you have to not only see them with someone else but see them with someone you can’t even hate because that person is your friend…I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t put the book down until those feelings it stirred up inside of me were resolved.

This was the first Elizabeth Scott book I’ve ever read and it definitely won’t be the last now.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to read this before your review and I really want to read it now. I've never read any Elizabeth Scott but my gosh I think I'll enjoy her writing. Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure about this book either! I love Elizabeth Scott's writing BUT the topic is just not for me. But I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the awesome writing of Elizabeth Scott! She is addictive! :D

    I haven't read this book, but it sounds similar to Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I had a hard time with cheering for the main character struggling to fight her feelings for her best friend's fiance.

    I would think that The Unwritten Rule may go a little better, especially since it is a little too early for the characters to be thinking about marriage :)

    I hope you get to read more of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the book, I enjoyed reading your review, here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-unwritten-rule-by-elizabeth-scott.html

    Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.