Thursday, 21 July 2011

Wake by Lisa McMann


Wake
by Lisa McMann


Summary: For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.
I’m not quite sure what to say about this book. I really, really liked it but there’s something about it that just - I’m still on the fence, unable to decide whether I liked it or didn’t like it. I think it was the way it was written.

I loved the story and I loved the characters and the romance in the book, but it was written in a way that was different from most of the books I read and I’m not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing. It’s written in third person and I felt really distanced from the characters because of that and there were a lot of things that I wish had been more detailed or expanded on, but instead they were glossed over in summaries of events or left out completely.

The way it was written wasn’t annoying to read or anything and it made the book one of those fast paced quick reads, it just - it’s like it keeps the reader at a distance so they can’t totally connect to what is going on in the story (and it’s not just the third person thing, it’s the way Lisa writes it…Harry Potter is third person, but I had no trouble with that, it’s just - Lisa keeps it very vague, not much detail, lots of summarizing doing the whole tell instead of show thing).

So yeah, I liked the book a lot and I recommend it…I’m just a little unsure about the writing style, but the plot (although aspects of it were a little "WTF?") and characters are enough to make up for that. I’m not sure whether or not I want to read the sequels though or just pretend the book was a stand alone novel and let it end there for me.

Later.

Comment about the cover: that is the UK edition that I have and I really like it, it's original and different to anything else I've seen...but the publishers choose entirely different covers for the next two books, which is so beyond annoying, and now not only do they not match but the new covers are awful *headdesk* - I hate when publishers do that. UK covers for the sequels are like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.