Monday, 29 August 2011

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead


Bloodlines
by Richelle Mead


Summary: When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

Let me just start of by saying that I liked this book…I needed to make that clear because I tried writing this review twice and both times it seemed way more negative than I had intended - it’s a difficult book to review because it’s impossible for me to not compare it to the Vampire Academy series and in those inevitable comparisons, Bloodlines is just a bit underwhelming.

It felt more like a continuation of the Vampire Academy series with a switch in narrator than a spin-off and because of that, its hard to judge it as a book in its own right.

I liked being back in the world created in the Vampire Academy series and it was interesting to see that world and characters I adored from an entirely different perspective.

Sydney…well, she’s no Rose, not even close but I liked her. She annoyed me at times and seemed like kind of a pushover but in a way it made her more real because she was flawed…her flaws just happened to be more irritating than Rose’s were. The Alchemist thing kind of bugged me - but then, their general belief is that vampires are these awful, evil things and they judge them for what they are instead of who they are…seeing as all my favourite characters from the books are vampires, it did get kind of annoying hearing them insulted like that.

I loved that my favourite characters from VA were in the book, either consistently or mentioned or popping up every now and then - the only negative about that was that most of my favourite characters were ones I was already familiar with and already loved from VA…it’s kind of hard to like the book and have it stand on its own as a series when it is using the existing characters as a crutch.

Adrian was my main reason for liking Bloodlines. He is awesome, he was one of my top three favourite characters in the VA books, so I loved getting to see more of him -- particularly because I hated the ending he got in the other series so I hope this one gives him the kind of story his character deserves.

If you like the Vampire Academy series then I do recommend reading the spin-off series, it was good, just not quite as good as Vampire Academy and the two are so linked that it’s almost impossible to read them and not compare the two (at least for me). Hopefully the sequel will become more of it's own story.

Rating (because I’m not sure if the review makes it clear): 3 out of 5 stars.

Later.

p.s. Sorry this review is kind of lame -- like I said, I tried writing the review twice, this was attempt three...and also, I'm ill right now and all I want to do is go sleep until I feel less awful, not exactly the ideal reviewing mood.

4 comments:

  1. I really felt the same way about it. Didn't live up to my expectations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!

    Loved the chemistry between Adrian and Sydney. I loved Jill and all her worries.
    I love Sydney and all her neuroses. I think so many fans expect Bloodlines to have the same heat, drama, action, tension that was in VA..

    Yea, I missed the romance but I think Richelle's just preparing us for The Golden Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :\ I haven't heard a lot of reviews about this book (then again, I haven't gone searching). I'm still wanting to read it, though, and will. I just hope I won't be very disappointed.

    P.S. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Zoe -- yeah, I probably would've liked Bloodlines more if it wasn't for the comparisons to VA.

    The book was still good because Richelle is a great author but because it felt more like a VA sequel than a spin-off, it was too hard not to compare them and in a contest between VA and Bloodlines, Bloodlines just pales in comparison.

    The romance thing actually didn't really register with me much. o.O

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.