Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Dark Parties by Sara Grant

Dark Parties
Sara Grant
Little Brown Books for Young Readers
[August 3, 2011]

Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says... 


Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most.


 This book was...interesting.

It was fast paced and well written and interesting. A little bit of a unique touch to it. But I had some problems.

From a moral stand point, there's a major problem for me. I don't know why it bothered me in this book so much, because I've read it before. Neva ends up kissing her best friend's boyfriend accidentally. I was okay with that, it was genuinely an accident. But then it becomes this "Do I/Don't I" thing and just...no. She was into him and he was into her. This isn't cool with me. First of all, I have MAJOR problems with cheating of any kind. You're into someone else, you break up with who you're with. This book did have a reason, but STILL. It's not cool. Then there's the fact that this is her BEST FRIEND. Guys...you don't do that to any girl, but especially your best friend. That's just three times worse than doing it to some girl you don't even know. Because this is someone who trusts you and loves you and thinks of you as a sister. You may not physically cheat on anyone, but emotionally counts just as much to me.

So, um...that kind of bothered me. A little.

But beyond that, something didn't click with me. Maybe because it was so fast paced it almost seemed rushed. Maybe because it was predictable at times. Maybe because I frequently wanted to smack Neva.

It's weird, I genuinely enjoyed reading this. It was exciting and lots happened and it mixed a lot of different aspects of dystopian novels. While reading it, I REALLY enjoyed it. But reflecting...I'm not as excited about it. Not as happy. I kind of wish my friend did take it with her because I'm not sure I want it on my shelf.

Besides my own peeve, there was nothing genuinely wrong with the book that comes to mind. It was just...average. 

This review sucks. I apologize. But that's all I can give you.

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your review, Julie :) You're just being honest about how this book made you feel. I have this one in my tbr pile, fingers crossed that I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I still want to read it, just to see. I totally concur with the cheating not being okay thing.

    One thing I disagree with is this:

    "You may not physically cheat on anyone, but emotionally counts just as much to me."

    At the end of the day, people can't choose how they feel. We don't get to choose who we fall for (if we could, life would be a hell of a lot simpler)...the guy being with her best friend when he wants someone else, he's in the wrong because he should end it, but the girl liking her best friends boyfriend? She can't help that and feelings don't come with an off switch.

    So yeah, having feelings for your best friends boyfriend = sucks, but it's not really her fault...it's only when someone crosses the line and acts on them that I'm not cool with. :P

    And I'm just commenting here because you're still gone and I can't remember which of your two IM accounts I'd have to attack with offline messages. =P

    ...it feels odd commenting on our own blog. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, is the kiss thing and the thing with her best friends boyfriend spoiler-y? Or does it happen pretty early in the book?

    ...just asking here before I forget.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.