Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Deception by Lee Nichols


Deception
by Lee Nichols


UK release date: 5th of September 2011 (I think)

Summary: When Emma Vaile's parents leave on mysterious business trip, it gives her the perfect excuse to be a rebellious teen. Throw some parties, get a tattoo (or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of her junior year. Then her best friend stops talking to her, the cops crash her party, and Emma finds herself in the hands of a new guardian--her college-age "knight in J.Crew armor," Bennett Stern--and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England.

After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd. But she can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore--except maybe Bennett. But he's about to reveal a ghostly secret to Emma. One that will explain the visions . . . and make Emma fear for her life.
The cover of this book does not do it justice and I’m mentioning that because the cover, while it’s not awful (I actually kind of like it), makes it look generic...like it's just like the majority of YA paranormal books out there but this is one of the good ones, one of the rare gems hidden amongst all of the mediocre stuff and I never would’ve guessed that from the cover. A cover like that wouldn't stand out to me in a book store, but the story stands out.

I really loved the book. It was fun and fast paced and it had a bunch of laugh out loud moments (and while I'm easily amused to the point of it being ridiculous, there actually aren't many books that can make me laugh).

If you liked books like Hex Hall or Paranormalcy, then this book will probably be good for you - it’s different from those books but it has a similar charm. The way it’s written with such personality and manages to maintain a good balance between fun and serious.

Emma was a great protagonist. Actually, I think she may be one of my favourite main characters I’ve read in quite a while. There were times where I wish she would question things a bit more, demand answers but I can sort of get why she doesn’t and in general, it was so fun being inside her head. She made me laugh with her random awkwardness, I could related to her and empathize with her and she was unique and normal at the same time…which is kind of contrary, I know, but if you read it then you’ll understand what I mean.

And Bennett…he was lovely, although frustrating. Actually, I loved all of the characters, especially the ghosts, they were just awesome. Even her family managed to have such a presence in the book even though they weren’t even in the book really, just mentioned by Emma.

I loved the setting and the paranormal aspect and the plot, the way it kept me hooked right from the very start (and I’m not kidding - my eyes were messed up after reading the book because I strained to read the book cover to cover while tired). It ended in a way that left me desperate to read the sequel and I’m going to go read the sequel as soon as I finish this review actually.

Sum up: I really recommend the book, it was awesome and I think it’s going to be the start of a really great series and it’s the perfect thing to read if you’re craving something fun but not necessarily light to read.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds good. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.