Friday, 19 August 2011

Dreams of Significant Girls by Cristina Garcia

Dreams of Significant Girls
Cristina Garcia
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
[July 12, 2011]
Brought together each summer at a boarding school in Switzerland, three girls learn a lot more than just French and European culture. Shirin, an Iranian princess; Ingrid, a German-Canadian eccentric; and Vivien, a Cuban-Jewish New Yorker culinary phenom, are thrown into each other's lives when they become roommates.

This is a story of 3 paths slowly beginning to cross and merge as they spend the year apart, but the summers together. Through navigating the social-cultural shoals of the school, developing their adolescence, and learning the confusing and conflicting legacies of their families' past, Shirin, Ingrid, and Vivien form an unbreakable bond.

This story takes readers on a journey into the lives of very different girls and the bonds that keep them friends.
This was a different kind of read.

Shirin, Ingrid, and Vivien are the definition of flawed characters. I seemed to like and dislike all the characters at one point or another. They all made mistakes, some of them stupid, and sometimes they just had some bad times. I didn't like any one girl more than the other because of this.

Their stories were all unique and interesting. They all came from different backgrounds and different places. Besides their age, it seemed like they had nothing in common. But then they started growing together. And it seemed the most obvious thing in the world that they would be best friends. 

I loved watching these girls grow and fall in and out of love and make it through family troubles. I loved the fact that it wasn't just these girls and that fate had a funny way of making itself known. Sometimes their journey lulled, but that's how life is. 

It's not my usual kind of read, but I'm glad I read it. Sometimes books like this are just what you need. Books that make you think a little without being overly difficult. If you're up for something a little different, this is definitely one to try.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Lady Matador's Hotel so when I saw this one coming out I was excited enough to pre-order it. Now it's on my TBR pile. I hope to get to it soon. I appreciate your review, reminding me to get to it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.