Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Forbidden (The Demon Trappers #2) by Jana Oliver


Note: this book is a sequel but the review isn't spoiler-y (the summary will be though, so I suggest not reading that till you read book one)

Forbidden
by Jana Oliver


[this is the UK cover/title]


Summary: Riley's beginning to think being a demon trapper isn't all it's cracked up to be. Her dad's been stolen by a necromancer, her boyfriend's gone all weird and she's getting warm and fuzzy feelings for someone who's seriously bad news. It's tempting to give it all up and try to be normal, but that's not an option. Because the demons have plans for Riley. And they're not the only ones.
I really love this series, there’s just something about it. I think it’s the setting, the time and place where it is set makes it have this…grounded kind of realistic feel to it but it has a supernatural dystopian feel to it. It’s set not too far in the future and while I’ve never been to Atlanta, the world still had a sort of familiarity to it - I could picture the world being that broken (although maybe not infested with demons, although that’d be cool in a warped/twisted “it’s like living in a movie” kind of way).

And I’m going off on a tangent. This book was just as good as the first one, maybe even better and it left me wanting more, just like the first one did. There were characters I loved, characters I hated, characters I loved to hate and ones that used to be awesome that now make me want to punch the book in the hopes that their fictional faces will somehow feel it.

There’s honestly not much I can say about the book without getting all spoiler-y (especially about the romance), so this review basically just comes down to: I love the book. I love this series and I think you should go read it. (Sucktastic review, I’m aware, but whatever.)

Really, the only thing I didn’t like about the book is that Jana Oliver is one of those authors that are very guilty of one my writing pet peeves. She writes accents phonetically…and worse, she writes a Scottish accent phonetically (being Scottish, that one bugs me the most).

There was lots of “ya” being written instead of “you” (more annoying seeing as it was used for the Scottish dude and the one from Georgia), “ta” instead of “to” and “verra” instead of “very”…I wanted to throw the book sometimes because of that, I can’t stand it when authors do that (and with Scottish ones, it usually sounds all wrong, like...the way a Scottish person pronounces a word can depend on the context/who they’re speaking to and the placement of the word in a sentence and you in a cliché Scottish accent is more like yae/yay than ya).

…So yeah, that’s my only complaint with this book. I’m not sure why it bugs me so much - it annoys me in the same way text talk does and I guess I just think that telling the reader someone is Scottish is enough (or wherever they’re from) is enough without writing out their accent (often badly) and make them kind of stereotypes of the place they come from (although Jana isn’t so guilty of the last one - she only had Stewart wear a kilt once *facepalm*).

Sorry this review has been half sucky/vague, half ranting.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear it was as good as the first! I'm so excited for this one. And more Beck ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.