Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted


Crazy Beautiful
by Lauren Baratz-Logsted


Summary: In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because they were cheaper. He chose hooks because he wouldn’t outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself.

Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don’t scare her. They don’t keep her away. In fact, they don’t make any difference at all to her.

But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering.

Or maybe she’s just a girl who needs love just like he does.
I didn’t like this book. But I didn’t not like it either. After I finished, my emotions towards it were kind of…indifferent.

I know we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but this one has an awesome cover and so I expected awesome things from it. Especially seeing as it has a kind of Beauty and the Beast thing going on and I adore that story…but it was just - meh.

The only originality in the plot is the fact that Lucius has no hands, with the rest of it, it didn't feel like I was reading anything new and wasn't written in a way that made it stand out as being better than all the other stories that have used variations of the same plot. The characters felt really flat, the relationships - I just wasn’t buying them, I didn’t feel it. The plot was mediocre and the ending was one of those really unsatisfying ones that leaves you with a, “Wait, that’s it?” feeling. I just - wasn’t into it. It’s one of those stories that would maybe work as a movie but is just kind of dull in book form.

Luckily, the book is short. It doesn’t take long to read at all so I just read it in one sitting for the sake of finishing it so I could move onto something (hopefully) better. The cover and the writing are the only parts of the book I really liked, because Lauren does write well (not really making my favourites list, but good).

I don’t know if I’m being too harsh with this review, it’s just that this is the second book in a row that I’ve read in the past day that has been a total let down so I’m finding it difficult to think of anything positive to say (although, considering I didn't like the book I read before this one would've actually made me easier to impress, so...). I could understand why other people would like it and if the summary appeals to you, then I recommend giving it a chance, it just wasn’t for me.

I’d rate it 2/2.5 stars.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Bum deal. The synopsis makes it sound really good because it does sort of have a B&TheB feel with a realistic spin. But I can't stand flat characters. And I totally know what you mean about books that would just be better as movies. Which I hate to say, because the book should ALWAYS BE BETTER. Great honest review.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.