Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Fateful
Claudia Gray
Harper Collins Children's Books
[September 13, 2011]

It's about a servant girl named Tess in 1912, who wants to escape from the house where she works, and most particularly the lecherous young lord of the manor. But that's not her biggest problem. While on a voyage to America, where she plans to escape and start a new life, she meets Alec, who's ruggedly handsome, fabulously wealthy, intelligent and yet so clearly troubled that she'd rather not fall for him, but she does. That also is not her biggest problem. Alec, it turns out, is a werewolf ... one cursed to change every night, unless and until he surrenders his independence and joins the Brotherhood, a pack of violently misogynistic werewolves who have been tracking him for months. You'd think that would be their biggest problem, wouldn't you?

But no. Their biggest problem -- though they don't know it yet -- is that they're aboard the RMS Titanic.

I loved this book.

Alec and Tess were both fantastic characters. I wanted Tess to be my best friend and I wanted to hug her and tell her everything would be okay. And Alec? Freaking amazing boy. Just...really loved that boy. At first, you may want to smack him, but you kind of learn why he acts the way he does and realize he's kind of awesome.

I was never bored when reading this. I read 50 pages without realizing it, read half of it within a few hours. I hated to put it down because I always wanted to know what would happen next. I cried at one point. Nearly screamed and threw it a few times. It was interesting and, while not totally twisty and unpredictable, definitely entertaining.

I wish I could erase this book from my memory and read it again for the first time. It was just SO insanely good. And even though I don't think there's a sequel that could be written and be as entertaining as this one, I DO want more of these characters and this world and this setting. Just...fantastic book. I recommend it if you read YA (which, I think it's safe to say you do.)

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. I love this review! I am so excited for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of putting werewolves on a boat...instant tension!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.