Thursday, 22 September 2011

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Graffiti Moon
by Cath Crowley


Release date: February 14th 2012 (although it is already out in Australia)

Summary: Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.
[Note: I'm aware this review is way early - I actually wrote this in August 2011...but yeah, you can pre-order it or add it to your wish list!]

I loved Cath Crowley’s other book, A Little Wanting Song, but this book was just - wow. It was amazing. So amazing that I’m not sure how to even begin to properly describe my thoughts on the book, but I’ll try.

Cath’s writing is amazing. With most books, you read them for the characters or the story and maybe you’ll like the writing style and a few quotes will jump out at you as being awesome, but books like Graffiti Moon? They’re different. The way Cath writes is kind of like a song…when you string the words together, they just sound so unique and lyrical and beautiful - the story could be awful but there would still be beauty in her writing (and in this case she had the awesome writing as well as ticking all the other awesome boxes too).

This was one of those rare books where character POV switches was done really, really well and I’m pretty fussy with books that have multiple narrators - usually it seems like it is being used as a crutch because the author can’t carry the story using just one perspective but it was done so well here and it was one of my favourite things about the book.

And her characters…I loved them all. They made me laugh, they made me ache, they had me wishing they were real so I could know them. I probably loved Ed and Lucy the most but they were all amazing; Leo, Jazz, Dylan, Daisy…even Malcolm was awesome in a totally, “Oh my god, he is insane!” kind of way and he was hilarious.

The plot of the book was kind of predictable at times, but other things I totally didn’t see coming but even the predictable bits didn’t matter because there wasn’t a single moment I was bored while reading this. I literally read until my eyes got all messed up from straining to read the book from first word to last.

I loved the way art was woven into the story and the way they talked about graffiti as art - because I consider it art...sure, some of it is bad and stupid and messy, but there's bad stuff amongst any art form, it's not all wonderful. It is an underrated art form and I adore the way it's talked about in the book.

Cath Crowley has definitely earned her place on my favourite authors list - she was an instant read after I read A Little Wanting Song but this book proved she is capable of not only meeting the expectations that book set, but exceeding them because I loved Graffiti Moon even more.

Honestly, the only complaint I have about the book is that the word “arse” is used an awful lot. Which is a ridiculous thing to be annoyed by, but I really hate that word…that’s how good the book was: the only negative thing I can think of is that a word used often is one of my pet peeves.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. All of my fav bloggers adored this book! So many great and positive reviews on this one. I was thinking about buying it soon. Good to know you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.