Friday, 23 September 2011

Guitar Highway Rose by Brigid Lowry


Guitar Highway Rose
by Brigid Lowry


Summary: My name is Rosie Moon. I am nearly sixteen. I'm hungry for a juicy life. I lean out the window at night and I can taste it out there, waiting for me.

Popular and smart, fifteen-year-old Rosie Moon is the quintessential good girl. She also wishes she could be someone else for a while, someone more interesting. Asher Fielding is the mysterious new boy at school who has dreadlocks and a love of Jim Morrison. On the first day of tenth grade, Rosie develops a crush on Asher, and when the two pair up for a poetry assignment they quickly form a bond. When Asher is falsely accused of stealing a wallet at school, he and Rosie decide to escape it all--their families, their school, their ordinary town--and hitchhike up the Australian coast. They know they shouldn't, and that is exactly why they do. Part road story, part love story, Guitar Highway Rose is a thrilling ride for anyone who has ever dreamed about escaping everyday life, even just for a little while.
I honestly don't know whether I liked this book or not and that's because of the way it's written.

The writing is very unique and distinctive, the kind that just breathes personality onto the page...and I appreciate that, but I'm not sure I liked the format. It's hard to explain. Dialogue wasn't written like dialogue, it was just lists of what people said and it doesn't say who is saying what (and it's easy enough to follow most of the time but still kind of annoying) and it has loads of different POV's and lists and Archers POV bugged me so much because there is literally no punctuation in his paragraphs, you could get a page of his thoughts without a single comma or full stop and yeah, it made his sections stand out but it was a pain in the ass to read.

The characters were annoying but a realistic kind of annoying. They seemed like regular people, normal teenagers and parents and kids. The plot was just...it happened. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, was mostly indifferent to it.

I think I would've liked the book way more when I was younger because the things that annoyed me would've annoyed me less and I would've related to the characters more probably and the book kind of screams 90's with the movies mentioned being shown at the cinema and the music and the way the clothes are described and the fact that whenever music is mentioned, they say tapes. Not CD's. Not MP3's. TAPES! Oh, the nostalgia, it burns! =P

I want to read a book written by Brigid Lowry that is written like a regular novel, because with her writing, if it was in a regular novel format, then it could be absolutely fantastic. I know a lot of people think this book is amazing, I've seen reviews of it from people who loved it and people listing it as one of their favourite Aussie YA books...it was hyped up, didn't live up to expectations.

I'm not sure if this review is coming across as negative or positive and I really don't know which I'm aiming for. I really mean it when I say I don't know what I think of this book. I don't know if I liked it or hated it...I know I liked the writing but didn't like the format, but the overall book? No clue.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.