Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay


Juliet Immortal
by Stacey Jay


Summary: "These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.
Well then, this book was...this book was...:


And I was pretty much all:


And then:


And there was a lot of:


...Yes. I think that 'bout sums it up.

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did...I mean, it wasn't perfect, I did have a few issues with it, but overall? Really loved it (although the fact that I read it after quite a few disappointing reads in a row made me a little easier to impress and that may have had something to do with it, plus I was in the right mood for a book like this).

I love the original story of Romeo and Juliet. I do not consider it a love story. Romance? Yes. Love? Absolutely not. I love it as a tragedy. And this is probably the best YA book I've read that was based on the story of Romeo and Juliet, as well as being the most original.

I hate insta-love and this book had a lot of insta-love going on but it's one of those rare books where it's done in a way that works. A part of the world these characters are living in is that soul mates exist, it's a part of the supernatural element to the story and so accepting that two people can meet and instantly recognise each other as soul mates wasn't so annoying or far fetched as it usually is in insta-love stories.

I love the characters...Juliet was an awesome protagonist, even though she was far from perfect and I wanted to scream at the book when she was so stupidly oblivious to something that was blatantly obvious to the reader from the start - but I really liked her. And I love, love, loved Ben - he was so...can I keep him? Can I like, get him for Christmas this year please? Cause he was lovely and he totally brought the adorable and sexy and sweet and omgwtfbbqwaffle! he speaks Spanish in with his English and that makes me all melty for some reason (not gonna lie, Ben was probably the main part of the reason I loved the book).

I loved that Romeo wasn't your typical Romeo. He was kind of a dick really - tragically flawed and while he's a bad guy, he wasn't like...evil. I like that, when stories of good vs. evil show that there are shades of gray and that it's a choice, it's not something you just are (Juliet's character actually showed that too).

As for the plot...I really liked it, it had me hooked from the start and it was original. It wasn't perfect, there were some elements to it that were a bit, "Lolwhut?" and I'm still not totally sold on the ending - which I can't explain further without spoilers, so I won't, but even though I thought the way the ending happened was a bit odd and could've done with more explanation or whatever to make it seem less weird, I still liked it. I want to talk about the part I didn't like much but can't...gah, stupid spoilers.

Anyway, basically, this book has a gorgeous cover and it's one of those rare times where you can judge the book by its cover because the inside totally matches the awesome on the outside. Go read it. Even if you hate Romeo and Juliet, you may like this portrayal of them and even if you don't like insta-love, this may still work for you.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. haha, I love the gifs! Great review. I need to get this book ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahaha the gifs made my night! I always thought Romeo was kind of a jerk. I mean, he was sooo in love with Rosaline for like 5 seconds, and then suddenly he's like "HOW YOU DOIN', JULIET?" Right. Anyway, I love how you explain that good/evil are a choice, not inherent traits. It sounds like it makes for much more interesting and complex characters! The best villains always have a little bit of good in them too =) Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.