Thursday, 8 September 2011

Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors

Mad Love
Suzanne Selfors
Walker Books for Young Readers
[January 4, 2011]

When you're the daughter of the bestselling Queen of Romance, life should be pretty good. But 16-year-old Alice Amorous has been living a lie ever since her mother was secretly hospitalized for mental illness. After putting on a brave front for months, time is running out. The next book is overdue, and the Queen can't write it. Alice needs a story for her mother-and she needs one fast.

That's when she meets Errol, a strange boy who claims to be Cupid, who insists that Alice write about the greatest love story in history: his tragic relationship with Psyche. As Alice begins to hear Errol's voice in her head and see things she can't explain, she must face the truth-that she's either inherited her mother's madness, or Errol is for real.

This was an unexpected read.

The cover makes this seem kind of light and funny and while not totally happy, not a heavy story. And while it wasn't depressing and was very hopeful, it was a lot heavier than I thought it'd be. It touched on a lot of different topics that most books don't touch on. I kind of liked that.

I also loved how Psyche and Cupid's story was woven in. I loved hearing this story and how it was told differently. Errol was difficult, but he was honest and snarky and I just enjoyed his character and his story, the one he told and the one he lived during the book.

I really liked all the characters. Alice and her neighbors and the love interest and what we learned of her mom made me really intrigued. Honestly, all the characters were great and fun and I wanted to hug all of them.

The writing, while not the best, was entertaining enough. It kept me engaged. The story was very fast paced and it seemed like not much was happening but a lot was happening at any given time. It made it kind of hard for me to want to pick it up but also hard to put it down.

While no masterpiece, this is kind of entertaining. Heavier than it seems but not depressing or really dark. It's something you could definitely check out.

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. This sounds a good, I'll look out for it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I've read a lot of iffy and not so good reviews for it. I read this one at the beginning of the year and really enjoyed the idea and the characters :)

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cover. I expected a light read just from glancing at it, but now I guess it's not. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this one before and was instantly drawn to the cover but I never really heard much about it to be honest.

    You honestly have me intrigued that you mention that it is a bit darker as I had assumed that it was more of a light read. I think I'll be trying to get this one from the library at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree when you say this book is much darker than it seems. It was sent to me at one point and I wasn't really looking forward to it, since I tend to prefer reads with a ton of substance, and I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It still had its cutesy moments but there was also a lot put into it. Great review!

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.