Tuesday, 27 September 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Michelle Hodkin
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
[September 27, 2011]

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

When I finished this book, I closed it and stared at the back for a minute or two. I kept trying to put it down, but the thought terrified me. So I then did the logical thing and reread the last three pages. Closed it again. Asked the book "What? WHAT? Why? How is this...WHAT?" I felt even crazier because I could see my reflection in the book. Continued to stare. Finally managed to put it down and shower. As soon as I got out of the shower, it was the first thing I looked at.

This book was incredible. The plot was constantly full of action and I kept waiting for something scary/creepy to come up, because I'm a wuss. It was such an incredibly lovely/actiony/twisty story, I adored it. It was predictable at times, but if you couldn't tell, the ending shocked me and totally blew me away. It was also written in a way that, although the book is 450 pages, it reads really fast. I could read 100 pages in one sitting without realizing how much I'd read. The writing was fluid and flowy and fast paced and addicting.

Mara was a wonderful character. A bit self-centered at times, but also strong. So incredibly strong in many ways. She was this perfect balance of flaws and positive traits and it made her real...kind of. You'll see when you read it.

Noah Shaw...where do I begin with our darling Noah Shaw? He's cocky and arrogant and has that whole "Look at me, I'm all disheveled because I spent no time getting ready, but in truth this took an hour to do" aura about him. But he's an animal lover like woah. He's sarcastic and British and so sweet to our dear Mara (most of the time), who could really use some sweetness.

Mara's brothers also stole the show in their scenes. They were absolutely the best brothers to ever exist on the planet. Her younger brother was this adorable little genius. Her older brother was caring and compassionate and just always there for Mara, whenever she needed him.

So, if you can't tell, the plot and the writing were phenomenal. But it was the characters that really made this novel shine for me. Completely outstanding and lives up to it's cover for sure! This is definitely one to pre-order or run out and grab at the store on release day.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! That ending?!?!? ZOMGGGGG! I love the way you describe Noah -- "It takes time to look this disheveled" -- I laughed out loud because it is so true! I love him. I want my very own Noah Shaw. For realz. We need the sequel NOW!! Eep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One page I think I know what's going on and then the next it's like I haven't even read the pages at all. I didn't feel like I was READING the story of Mara, I felt like I was LIVING the life with Mara. This isn't the typical everyday normal life, but Michelle Hodkin wrote it in a way that I believed that this was normal. As normal as the writing made it, Mara's life is anything but normal. Mara is a bit on edge when she finds that she doesn't remember what happened the night when her friends were killed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.