Thursday, 13 October 2011

Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe

Audition
Stasia Ward Kehoe
Viking Juvenile
[October 13, 2011]

When high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprising passion for writing, she begins to question whether she's chosen the right path. Is Rem using her, or is it the other way around? And is dancing still her dream, or does she need something more? This debut novel in verse is as intense and romantic as it is eloquent.


What is it about verse books that makes them so...raw?

This book wasn't just reading and learning about being a ballerina. For a few hours, I WAS Sara. I didn't realize how effected I was until I realized that every time I stopped reading, I looked in a mirror (we have them EVERYWHERE) and examined my flaws and nitpicked. I felt her pain and I felt her confusion and I was sad and worried for her.

Sara was such a flawed character, but she's what you'd expect. I'm not a dancer (it was my least favorite part of being in musicals, honestly), but I've read books about dancers a few times, I've read stories that float around the internet. And it all made sense how she was and how the other girls were. In the past, I never fully understood it, but I do understand it a lot more now. I really loved Sara and the other ballerinas. The other girls that weren't ballerinas I wasn't crazy about, but I think that was the point.

Remington...Remington, Remington, Remington. I'm totally torn on this boy. There was so much going on with him and Sara and people and dancing and I loved the idea of them, but the idea and the reality were so...different.

I think my favorite thing about this novel, besides how totally absorbed I was, was the fact that it was realistic. Not just the situation, either. Sara didn't have just one problem and she didn't have a love triangle as her second problem. There were a lot of problems. A lot of pressures. As a ballerina, as a daughter, as a girlfriend, as a teenager. It was different, refreshing. I feel like I mention books being super realistic and refreshing a lot, but this time I truly mean it. This was like nothing I've read before just because of that aspect.

Overall this was a phenomenal book. Just, truly fantastic. From the cover to the design to the words to the story. Addicting and interesting and realistic and beautiful and raw and I could go on and on. But you need to go get a copy, so you do that and I'll stop typing.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I agree, this book just sucks you in but at the end you don't want it t let you go. Great review, Julie. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.