Friday, 7 October 2011

Bleeding Hearts by Alyxandra Harvey


Bleeding Hearts
by Alyxandra Harvey


Summary: The Drakes and friends will be tested when an infestation of deadly vampires threatens Violet Hill.

Lucy's cousin Christabel has come to live in Violet Hill, and adjusting to the difference between life in a small mountain town and her home in the city is difficult enough. The strict curfew that Lucy's parents enforce is the worst part. Something really dangerous couldn't possibly happen in this tiny town. But Christabel has noticed some mysterious happenings, and it seems like Lucy, her boyfriend Nicholas and his brother Connor are all in on a secret that Christabel doesn't understand—one that seems deadly serious. Although she won't admit it, Christabel would love to be in on any secret with Connor Drake. But when she is kidnapped by the ruthless Hel-Blar vampires, Christabel must cause more and more trouble in Violet Hill, Lucy and Connor finally fill Christabel in on all the undead drama. Together, they must find a way to stamp out the Hel-Blar for good.
I really love this series (the only exception being maybe the second book), it’s so fun and I love Lucy (uh - yeah) and the Drakes and it feels more original than the flood of other vampire YA books there are, which is always a plus - I always think I’m sick of the whole vampire thing until I read another Drake Chronicles book.

This book, while not being my favourite in the series, was really good. It had all the things I loved about the previous books and my favourite part was that it had some chapters in Lucy’s perspective. Lucy is such a fun character, she makes me laugh and she is so tough and stubborn which is awesome because humans in books dealing with supernatural creatures, particularly when romance is involved, can often come across as weak but she doesn't, she totally holds her own. And her chapters also gave me my Lucy/Nicholas fix (they’re my favourites). I really liked Connors chapters too - he’s not quite as awesome as his twin brother Quinn (who we do get to see through Connors eyes), but he’s an adorable nerdy guy and what’s not to love about that?

I’m incredibly fussy about books that alternate POV’s from chapter to chapter, but this is one of the ones that does it well. And I loved the plot of this one, it was fast paced and kept me interested from the start and I love the way each book explores the world from the previous ones more and more each time.

The thing that stopped me from liking this book as much as I some of the others was Christabel. She had her shining moments where I found her awesome, but in general she alternated between annoying and boring to me, so I wasn’t really fond of her chapters (although they improved as the book progressed). It wasn’t even that I hated her character, I didn't, I just didn’t like her as a narrator/being inside her head. Plus, her name annoyed me every time I read it, I hate that name so much (I’m fussy with character names - silly, I’m aware) which seems to be kind of a theme with the narrators I least enjoy reading with this series (I hate the name Isabeau and I didn’t like her narration as much as the others either in book 2).

Anyway, if you haven't read this series yet then you should check it out, the books are so fun and the characters are great.

Later.

p.s. I apologize for any mistakes/rambling and general awfulness of this review, I'm kind of half asleep right now, I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.