Monday, 31 October 2011

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Blood and Chocolate
by Annette Curtis Klause


Summary: Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?

Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a meat-boy. Aiden is kind and gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by magic, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.

Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really—human or beast? Which tastes sweeter—blood or chocolate?
I hated the first book that I read from Annette Curtis Klause (The Silver Kiss); it seriously almost bored me to tears, I just couldn’t stand the book and it put me off reading any more of her books for so long. And then, after many recommendations, I finally read Blood and Chocolate. And I love it.

I read the book a few years ago and I’ve wanted to reread it again for a while but still haven’t had the chance - but, seeing as I’m in a major reading funk right now, I figured I’d review some old favourites.

If you’ve seen the movie of Blood and Chocolate, do not let that make you think you know how the book goes - the book and the movie aren’t alike at all aside from character names. The setting, the story, the ending, the character personalities…all of it was changed for the movie to the point where they could’ve just changed some names and passed it off as original. I like both versions, but personally, I think the book is much, much better.

What I remember loving about the book was that it was so different from other supernatural YA books. They usually all followed the new girl moves to town and meets a mysterious boy (who saves her life) or a new mysterious boy moves to town (and saves her life) plot - and there’s such a predictability to that. But this book was something different and I loved that.

I loved Vivienne as a narrator because she was something different too. She wasn’t the human girl living out her life until a supernatural boy came along and swept her off her feet - she was the special one, she was the bad ass and there was a uniqueness to her personality too because you could tell by the way she was written that she wasn’t just a human. She had these animalistic instincts and this fierceness to her that were more wolf than girl but it was woven perfectly into her personality (it kind of bugs me in supernatural books where the supernatural half of a romance always seems to have to change to be with the human, they have to go against their very instincts to be more human and I like that this book had supernatural creatures comfortable in their own skin and not trying to be something they aren't).

The romance in the book was well done, it showed love and infatuation and it had flaws and it wasn’t all swooning and rainbows and butterflies. There’s two love interests but it’s not one of those annoying love triangles (the romance is one of the biggest let downs in the movie version, it ruined the best part of it). I don’t remember too much about Aidan or what I felt about him while reading, but I remember loving Gabriel and him being worth swooning over.

Seeing as it’s been so long since I read the book and some details have slipped my mind, I’ll leave the review at that. The book is on my Want To Re-Read list and I really recommend it (and I recommend the movie too - you can watch the movie without being spoiled for the book).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I love this book! It took me two hours to read and the complexity of the themes had my heart racing. Vivian is the perfect semblance of beauty, strength, and sensuality. Blood and Chocolate impresses me because Annette makes werewolves seem so tangible. And that being so in touch with their primal needs and actions resides, though repressed, in all of us.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.