Wednesday, 19 October 2011

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races
Maggie Stiefvater
Scholastic Press
[October 18, 2011]

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

It's no secret that the werewolves and I do not really agree. But in the first two Shiver books, I still really enjoyed Maggie's writing. So I heard about this book and was intrigued by the idea. I figured with the idea and her writing, I would love this.

But not so much.

I can't really pinpoint what it was. The characters were all complex and they had a lot of different factors to consider and they were all individuals, except the characters that weren't supposed to be individuals. Puck and Sean were just so adorable and kind of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy-esque. I appreciated that.

The writing was Maggie-fabulous. Pretty and flowy and wonderful. It's what you expect from Maggie. And the story IS different and entertaining and interesting.

But the book was so slow.

It takes place over a little more than a month. So you'd think it'd go pretty fast, but I just couldn't make myself sit and read it for long periods of time. I found myself daydreaming about the other books on my TBR pile for the month. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the story itself. The pace and I just didn't connect properly.

Others may love this. Between timing (I seem to be in the mood for faster paced reads lately), a busy schedule, and the pace over all, it just wasn't right for me right now. But I definitely think it's something to try if you're in the right mood.

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. You thought it was slow? Aw. I couldn't put it down - I devoured it in one sitting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much! I'll still give it a try though and I haven't read Shiver or Linger, even though I own them both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope I would got the copy. I'm interested on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was full of action and kept me so interested that I couldn't stop reading all night! Best for teens and horse lovers with a big heart. Hope u enjoy :)
    Highly recommended Longview Dentist

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.