Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Judging Books by Their Cover

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the FAB girls at The Broke and the Bookish and sometimes I decide to participate.

This week, we're talking about covers that made us buy the book. I'm...no, I'm not really ashamed to admit I do this kind of often. But usually I read the summary before ACTUALLY buying...usually.
 

1. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

I know some people say, "Ewwww, feet!" Well, that doesn't bother me. Instead I say, "Ewwww, werewolves!" But then I bought this book anyway and really, really enjoyed it. The sequel is equally pretty, and sitting on my TBR pile.

 

2. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Long story short: I went through a paranormal phase and knew this book had paranormal aspects, but the historical fiction part put me off (I KNOW) until finally I caved into the pretty of the covers. The picture here does not do this cover justice. The whole series is just gorgeous. I only have the third book in hardcover now, but I plan on getting all of them.


3. Ruby Red by Kiersten Gier

I was kind of indifferent to this book. I knew what it was about and I knew it was technically historical fiction with time travel, but I just had little interest. Then I saw the cover in person and knew I had to have it.


 4. The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

I know, I know, why wouldn't I have wanted this one on summary alone? I'm not sure. The summary just didn't interest me that much. Maybe because I prefer my historical fiction in Europe or NYC? But who can say no to this cover?



5. Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

Now, I have nothing against contemporary fiction. It just doesn't have as much of an appeal to me, unless it's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Though, the contemporary I DO read ends up being among my favorites. This one's no exception. I was put off by the idea of the romance not working out, but the cover was just too gorgeous!


 6. Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

I'd never read a Courtney Summers book before, but something about this cover. I don't even know what it is. The colors? The photos in the background? I just...I dunno. But I love it and so I wanted it.




7. Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

Again, not my kind of historical fiction. Just not a fan of the crazies and this sounded more psychological than romance or anything. But the cover, and the promise of A romance, finally won me over.


 8. Shadows Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

When it came out, I remember a bit of a buzz over this one, but not a whole lot. I do remember quite a few people did not like this cover. I completely disagree. I LOVE the bright orange on the background. I mean, isn't that awesome? And the font has a bit of a creepy feel to it. Just overall, awesome.


9. Plain Kate by Erin Bow

The summary, again, just didn't appeal to me all that much. But this cover? I love the blue on the gold and I love the cat in the background and I just love how it all fits with the story.


10. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

I know! I just really wasn't into faeries much when I first restarted reading YA. But this gorgeousness mixed with the rave reviews made me know I NEEDED this book. Something I really, really glad about.





So, what books did you fall in mad cover lust for?

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. I've seen the Libba Bray book on a few top tens ... I didn't even think to add it to mine, though it's a gorgeous cover! I really like The Iron King cover - it's beautiful! And the story sounds good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Other Words for Love but wasn't sure if I would like it. I think I'll look more into it now. I love the Iron King (and the rest of the series) and Ruby Red covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the Gemma Doyle series for their covers. Haven't had a chance to read them yet but I have a feeling I will love them.

    I must be the last person on earth who hasn't read The Iron King yet. I need to read that series. Love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books that drew me in with the cover:
    -Fat Vampire by Adam Rex
    -Matched by Ally Condie
    -Hourglass by Myra McEntire
    -The Giver by Lois Lowry
    -The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown



    Books that I'm wishlisting because of the cover:
    -Wither by Lauren DeStefano
    -Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


    Books I should not have judged based on their cover:
    -Fallen by Lauren Kate (dislike story/love cover)
    -Delirium by Lauren Oliver (dislike story/pretty cover)
    -Divergent by Veronica Roth (dislike cover/ liked story)

    And of course Gemma Doyle Trilogy has some of the best covers I have seen in a while. And I loved the first book. But I'm a Hist/Fic/History in general kinda girl...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.