Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Tris and Izzie
Mette Ivie Harrison
EgmontUSA
[October 11, 2011]

A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

 So...this review is kind of hard to write.

The writing was not good. At all. Then I kept reading and the bad writing didn't stand out to me as much. Maybe because I got used to it? Maybe it got better? I honestly can't tell. But eventually it wasn't a problem.

The story was slow. Really slow. Then suddenly all the things were happening at once. It was action-y and interesting. Not your usual story. Some of it was just TOO far fetched, but a lot of it was intriguing. The ending was a bit too wrapped up for my taste and too cliche and perfect, though.

Izzie pissed me off frequently. And Tris was just...he bugged me because he was too perfect. It kind of seemed like all of the characters were meant to be perfect and it irritated me. Especially because they were absolutely perfect or the complete opposite.

It wasn't a horrible read. I didn't hate it. I was interested enough to read the whole thing. But it's not one I'll be recommending or remembering.

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. I...strongly disliked this one. It really didn't work for me at all.

    At least you liked it a little bit!

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's too bad. The original is such a great story, and it can be told so well in so many ways. Maybe it's the modernization of it that doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was excited to read Tris and Izzie because I'm really interested in Arthurian legends and I like retellings of myth, legends, and fairytales. When I heard about this modern retelling of the legend of Tristan and Isolde, I was all over it. Unfortunately, this book was a waste of my time. The author has taken a fascinating, compelling legend and reduced to a bunch of unlikable teenagers behaving badly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.