Friday, 28 October 2011

YA Spooktacular is Dropping In!

Welcome to the next stop on the YA Spooktacular tour, hosted by Frenzy of Noise and Wicked Awesome Books!

This year, there are three stories written by some of your favorite authors that will be posted throughout the week. Each story is a choose your adventure, where you get to decide what path to send the character down. Sometimes you live, sometimes you die, and sometimes you fall into a pit of no return.

There are also some TRICKS or TREATS scattered throughout the story, where you can enter to win prizes and get bonus points toward the prize packs. The prize pack for will be story #3 will be up tomorrow! On Halloween day, the grand prize pack will be posted. You can click the banner above to see a full list of the YASpooktacular prize packs!

Today, we're fortunate enough to have Part 2 of The Corn Stalker. To read Part 1, click the banner below.




Author bio:

Kimberly Derting was born and raised in the Seattle area, with the exception of a few short stints in Phoenix, Boise, and San Jose.  Kimberly first fell in love with writing (giving up her childhood dreams of being a Veterinarian, and then her later aspirations of "lady trucker") when she signed up for Journalism as her 7th grade elective. It was supposed to an easy A, but it soon became her passion. She moved on to be Copy Editor of the high school yearbook so that she could correct other people's writing mistakes and fill in when they missed their deadlines.

The Body Finder was Kim’s debut, followed by Desires of the Dead and the third book in the series, The Last Echo, will be released in April 2012. Kim’s short story, ‘Skin Contact’, can be found in the anthology Enthralled and The Pledge, a new dystopian book, will be coming out this November from Margaret K. McElderry Books.

You can find Kimberly...

 

And her books are here:



Now, unto the story!


THE CORN STALKER



Kimberly Derting



But it was too late.  Before I could stop her, Kara untangled her fingers from mine and was already moving toward the sound…that strange, off-key whistling.  The whistling that had nothing to do with the wind.  This was something else altogether.  Something out of place amid the corn maze.  



“Kara—” I called out, wishing I’d yelled louder.   Wishing my voice hadn’t quivered, that I hadn’t sounded so pathetic.  “Wait up!”



There was no answer, and I forced myself to start walking, following her, to where she’d slipped between the tall, crooked stalks.



I thought she’d be there, waiting for me, giving me that look that said: I told you this was a bad idea.  I told you corn mazes were stupid.



But I didn’t see her.  



The whistling came again.  It was closer now, and my throat tightened around my words.

 “Kara!” This time I yelled as loud as I could.  “Where are you?”



There was no answer.  Just the wind and the rustling of the corn stalks.   



“Dammit,” I muttered beneath my breath, hoping this wasn’t some sort of joke. Hoping

Kara wasn’t trying to get back at me for dragging her out here in the middle of the night.



Behind me, I heard something snap—a twig or a branch—and even though that creepy, effed-up whistling sound had been coming from somewhere ahead of me, I moved faster anyway, practically running now.  I felt clumsy and unsure in the darkness.  



As long as I stay on the path, I told myself.  As long as I follow the maze, I’ll be okay.



Eventually I’ll find my way out.



Eventually I’ll find Kara.



But even as I repeated those words over and over in my head, I felt my foot catch on something laying across the trail in front of me. It was both solid and soft, and out of place on the path.  I was moving too fast to catch myself in time, to stop myself from falling.



My arms flailed as I careened forward, trying to grab onto something…a cornstalk…anything.  Instead, I hit the compacted dirt with an Oomph!



I lay there, on my stomach, for several seconds before I tried to rolled over.  Pain shot up my ankle, and I winced, biting back a yelp as I realized that I’d just screwed myself.  If I hadn’t fractured my ankle, I’d at least sprained it pretty bad.



I reach down to prod it, and my fingertips slid over something sticky as they reached my jeans.  Something wet and warm.



My eyes widened, trying to see through the darkness, to get a better view of what it was that I’d tripped on. All I could make out were shadows around me.  I reached for my cell phone, my heart sinking when I realized there were no bars all the way out here.  



I held the small LED screen up, illuminating the area around me.



And that was when I saw it.



Lying in the path…a body. Covered in blood.



A prop, I tried to convince myself. But my stomach plummeted as I inched closer.  I tried to wrap my mind around something that was nagging me, something I couldn’t quite put my finger on.



It wasn’t until I was reaching out to check for a pulse that I realized what was bothering me.



It was the orange hoodie.



The body—the girl on the ground—was wearing an orange hoodie.



If you think the body is Kara’s, go to Mindful Musings. http://themindfulmusingsbookblog.blogspot.com/



If you think the body is someone else’s, go to Fiktshun. http://www.fiktshun.com/fiktshun/

But before you go, I have something for you!


If you click on the banner, you can enter to win:
  • An ARC of Frost by Wendy Delsol
  • An ARC of Frost by Marianna Baer
  • Bitter Frost and Forever Frost by Kailin Gow 
  And for the grand giveaway for this story, make sure to hop over to Escape from Reality's blog! And on October 31, be sure to head to one of our host blogs (linked at top of post) to enter a grand prize giveaway!

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. Mary DeBorde [M.A.D.]
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    Yet ANOTHER awsome & unexpected twist - speaking of *twists*, poor Josh & his bum ankle lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Fantastic article, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,

    ReplyDelete
  3. running in the dark is dangerous...i hope he didn't just run to his death...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor Kara! At least I *think* it's her. Hope I don't chose wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how each author takes the story in such a different direction.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.