Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot


Abandon 
by Meg Cabot


Summary: Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

So this book and I got off to kind of a rocky start. I'm not sure if it was an issue I had with the book itself, or with reading in general (currently in the midst of a major reading funk right now), or if maybe it was too-high expectations coming into play because I'm a big fan of Meg Cabots books (The Mediator series is absolutely awesome). But yeah...didn't start off well.

The idea of the story intrigued me from the start - I love the whole Hades/Persephone mythology thing and so I loved that this was kind of inspired by that, but the writing irritated me beyond belief in the beginning. It was like it would mention six things really obviously trying to be cryptic in one chapter and it was just a bit, "WTF?" and then it would go all flashback throughout the book to shed some light on the cryptic things - and I guess that's what a lot of writers do but it just bugged me for some reason the way it was done in this, with no subtlety at all. And the writing also seemed ramble-y at times and like it would be in the middle of a scene then go off on a totally different tangent.

BUT! I got over that stuff and really did like the book by the end - it wasn't amazing and there were things that I felt could've been explained much, much better but weren't even touched on (maybe to set up for a sequel or something, but it annoyed me a little) but...yeah, it was fun. It kept me entertained and I liked the main character (although I had some issues with her too) and the romance was cute although really, really not developed much. It was basically insta-love, the relationship doesn't develop and...this is sounding more negative than I intended.

To sum up, before I end up going all negative again without intending to: I like the book, I'd rate it maybe 3.5 stars. If you like the mythology or Meg Cabot books then you'll probably really like it (but I don't suggest it being your first Meg Cabot book - start with The Mediator series). Also, I'm having trouble reading any books right now, I keep zoning out whenever I try (I find myself reading pages without taking in a single word and having to go back two or three times to realise what it's saying) - so that would've had an impact on my opinion of the book probably.

Later.

p.s. I'm really, really hoping that my reading funk ends soon because this is really starting to bug me. I miss really reading and I miss blogging about reading and...yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your reading 'funk' gets better soon, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago! It's annoying... but great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.